British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-17, 07:54 PM

Default WWII British 6 pdr AT Gun

Although clearly outside of the intended scope of this forum, I would like to pose the following question to anyone who might have the answer. On the WWII British Ordnance, QF, 6 pdr Anti-Tank Gun Mk IV, Carriage Mk III (Airborne) what is the function of the six small lugs/protrusions on each of the rims of the carriage wheels? They appear to be installed only on the Carriage Mk III. Would hope that someone might have a copy of the gun’s technical manual in their reference library. Would anticipate that going any quasi-formal route through either MoD channels or a museum staff would take a lot of time. Please see the attached photograph.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9632222243_7e4b3f2c3d_m copy.jpg (35.8 KB, 58 views)
Old 27-04-17, 09:03 PM

You find these on 17 and 25 pounder guns as well, the idea is that the ropes with steel loops on the ends (Ropes, Drag.) carried on the shield of the gun hook onto these lugs or cleats and are used by the gun crew to manhandle the gun over obstacles.

Rob
Old 28-04-17, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
You find these on 17 and 25 pounder guns as well, the idea is that the ropes with steel loops on the ends (Ropes, Drag.) carried on the shield of the gun hook onto these lugs or cleats and are used by the gun crew to manhandle the gun over obstacles.

Rob
I believe that that is correct although I understood at the time (1959/60) that the drag ropes were usually hooked on the revolving ring bolt visible in the image at the hub of the wheel. Additionally some form of hand spike could be inserted into the lugs and manpower/weight applied to aid traction. A copy of the Gun Drill manual for the 25 Pdr would clarify things. Mike
Old 28-04-17, 02:25 PM

Default WWII British 6 pdr AT Gun

Thank you both Rob and Mike very much, your explanation is very logical and most appreciated. However, other than in a deployed position for stowage purposes, I’m not certain how practical it would be, i.e. whether the drag lines would stay on un-entangled while the gun was under tow. Admittedly I should have been more observant in looking at both the 17 pdrs and 25 pdrs. But you will have to admit it is an inconsistently employed design feature which only appears on some wheels and not others. Neither of the two surviving 17 pdrs that are on display outside the Hartenstein Hotel in Oosterbeek have the feature. Plausible explanation being that restorers could not find the correct replacements. I have looked at literally hundreds of images of both 6 pdrs and 17pdrs. Even the models that are available are also inconsistent in incorporating the detail. Thanks once again.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 28-04-17, 03:46 PM

Here you go, I think.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:34 PM.
Old 28-04-17, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Here you go, I think.

Marc
Marc,
Many thanks. It takes me back to R Bty, 298 Fd Regt RA(TA) (Surrey Yeomanry (QMR)) in 1960! R Bty's Permanent Staff Limber Gunner had been in that Battery since 1938 - BEF, Dunkirk, El Alamein, Sicily, Italy, NW Europe and was still soldiering on in 1960. BC R Bty had been RSM of 98 Army Fd Regt (Surrey Yeomanry) throughout the War.
Mike
Old 28-04-17, 06:55 PM

Images of a 25 Pdr of 145 Fd Regt RA (Berkshire Yeomanry) at full recoil - on operations in Java in 1946 and a close up of the wheel. Mike
25 pdr field gun in action Java 1946. In recoil. AT Ball Album.02.jpg25 pdr field gun in action Java 1946. In recoil. AT Ball Album.03.jpg
Old 28-04-17, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhemjim View Post
Neither of the two surviving 17 pdrs that are on display outside the Hartenstein Hotel in Oosterbeek have the feature. Plausible explanation being that restorers could not find the correct replacements.
If I remember correctly those wheels were indeed put on with little regard for correctness when those guns were painted and put up on display in the eighties.

Rgds, Thomas.