British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-04-17, 05:25 PM

Default Malayan Scouts 22 SAS - auction lot

My "Gurkha" search engine threw up this interesting lot from Dix Noonan Webb - I have no idea of the value of the medal - but I'm fairly sure the badge would be several hundred pounds by itself - but some interesting photos and story that I think members might enjoy. Tim https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...1-a75100f2c5c3
Old 14-04-17, 08:30 PM

I know a few on here will be bidding on this lot for sure 😉
Old 15-04-17, 04:43 PM

Be wary of the badges/militaria at DNW. Their expertise is in medals they are not experts with cloth and metal badges.

Indeed, to illustrate my point lot 623 includes a silver fake LRDG badge with spurious hallmarks. My advise to any prospective bidder (as with any auction) would be to examine each item yourself to ascertain originality before bidding.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Old 15-04-17, 04:55 PM

Horses for courses, I have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
Be wary of the badges/militaria at DNW. Their expertise is in medals they are not experts with cloth and metal badges.

Indeed, to illustrate my point lot 623 includes a silver fake LRDG badge with spurious hallmarks. My advise to any prospective bidder (as with any auction) would be to examine each item yourself to ascertain originality before bidding.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Old 15-04-17, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Are you telling us the badge in this post is fake then, because it states it was the one worn by the medal recipient?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 15-04-17, 06:41 PM

Not wanting to entice all and sundry in bidding against me, but the badge is 100% right in my opinion.
Old 15-04-17, 07:02 PM

My comments were only to suggest caution, and refer to the silver fake LRDG badge. I have no opinion to offer regarding the Malayan Scouts patch.

Keith
Old 15-04-17, 08:07 PM

Personally Keith I think warning people about such things is a good thing mate.
I for one appreciate your comments.
Regards
Jon
Old 16-04-17, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Are you telling us the badge in this post is fake then, because it states it was the one worn by the medal recipient?

regards
One thing that oft gets quoted 'is buy the item, not the story'.

I think the malaya badge looks ok but it is always wise to look at such closely as claiming provenance to legitimise items is sadly commonplace.

Jerry
Old 16-04-17, 12:10 PM

There was a very nice lot of 4 original Malayan scout badges last year on Ebay that fetched over 3000 pounds. It consisted of the arm patch, two shoulder titles and an SAS jump wing.

Cheers
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
My "Gurkha" search engine threw up this interesting lot from Dix Noonan Webb - I have no idea of the value of the medal - but I'm fairly sure the badge would be several hundred pounds by itself - but some interesting photos and story that I think members might enjoy. Tim https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...1-a75100f2c5c3
Old 16-04-17, 02:59 PM

They were all originally mate. I unfortunately just missed out on those last year.
Nice set of insignia too.
Old 16-04-17, 06:25 PM

Default SAS Auction lot

The cloth SAS badge in this auction is in my opinion not the real deal. I always understood that in the correct badge the point of the kriss did not pass into the lettering but stopped above them. John.
Old 16-04-17, 09:57 PM

Default MS shield

[QUOTE=blackpowder44;401518]The cloth SAS badge in this auction is in my opinion not the real deal. I always understood that in the correct badge the point of the kriss did not pass into the lettering but stopped above them. John.[/QUOTE

John,

It is not a hard and a fast rule that the point of the kris should not pass through the letters SAS.

I have seen enough of original badges where the rule does not apply.

The fact is none of these patches were identical as they were all handmade.

Cheers,

Johan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130813_32.jpg (47.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Malayan Scouts patch worn.jpg (44.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 18-04-17, 05:22 PM

Default Malayan Scouts 22 SAS -auction lot

For what its worth I am aware of the history of this lot and the person to whom it was awarded. The badge is from the same time period as the medal so I would have to think it is not a copy. I have no connection to the auction house at all.

Arnhem