British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-17, 10:37 PM

Default opinions on para wing

Can anybody date this wing as it shows early and also later traits in wing manufacture. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0211.jpg (39.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 27-04-17, 12:40 AM

I have never come across a WW2 era British paratrooper wing variation like this one which doesn't match any of the ones that you normally come across. It has the correct color thread for the chute and wings as well as the correct material base trimmed like others you encounter but is not quite right proportionally. This wing has the feathering separation that you see on some WW2 era para wings but the feathering itself is rather narrow and the tips are too sharply pointed at the base. The ones that you come across with the sharply pointed feathering tips do not have the feathering separation. In addition the embroidered white rectangle at the base where the shroud lines meet looks like it was embroidered on wrong as it is horizontal instead of being vertical. If this is an original WW2 era piece it is a scarce piece and very collectible.

Last edited by Tonomachi; 27-04-17 at 12:41 AM. Reason: error
Old 27-04-17, 01:05 AM

I would agree. The whole design looks strange. If it is genuine, it's likely a private purchase. A photo of the other side could help.
Old 27-04-17, 09:20 AM

Reverse of obove wing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.jpg (48.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 27-04-17, 09:41 AM

The material looks OK but the wing shape, feather errors and 'new' appearance cause me to believe this is of modern manufacture.

Paul
Old 27-04-17, 11:14 AM

This would appear to be very similar to the wing in this post;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...d.php?t=27876&
Old 27-04-17, 11:23 AM

This wing l have always thought of as a copy although as stated the wing stitching with fault line mimics earlier designs. If it is copy why have l not seen similar items for sale? Anyway an interesting discussion and thank you all for your input. Pete
Old 27-04-17, 04:34 PM

Talking

Certainly it has some feature I am happy to see, but others I do not like, the funny wing tip turn ups, the badly formed basket, the thread running from the wings to the canopy, none of these are seen on known period examples. If it was the price of a repro I might buy it but I would not pay anymore than that. Interesting to see it in the linked thread with kiss of death from Luc.

Jerry