British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-03-16, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

You are right and that matches my example exactly.
Old 21-03-16, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Well unless he emigrated to Australia then that is the sighting of a second 1947 badge in the last 25 years.
As referred to in Chris Marsh's book, if we go back to about 1983/4 I saw (another) one in the "museum" at RARDE Fort Halsted near Sevenoaks. I think it was with other items described as "experimental anodising of badges".

Tim
Old 21-03-16, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

3 in 30 years it is then. I do wonder if DSTL still have that one somewhere in their archives. I think they shut the Fort a few years ago.

Last edited by Alan O; 21-03-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 21-03-16, 08:33 PM

Another of the 4 kc badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160321_195346.jpg (85.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by magpie; 21-03-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 21-03-16, 08:34 PM

This is a picture of a RAOC section at COD Feltham c1947 wearing a mixture of GS Cap & Berets, with what looks like a mixture of Brass & Economy Plastic Badges!

Bearing in mind that the Wide 'Sua Tela Tonanti' badge was introduced in that year to replace the Corps Titled 1918 pattern, you cannot tell which brass badge was being worn, but that plastic badges were still being issued...

Nothing to do with the anodized badge you may think, but it shows the mix of badges still in use after the war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img641.jpg (74.3 KB, 56 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 21-03-16, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
As referred to in Chris Marsh's book, if we go back to about 1983/4 I saw (another) one in the "museum" at RARDE Fort Halsted near Sevenoaks. I think it was with other items described as "experimental anodising of badges".

Tim
I was puzzled as to why the Royal Armament Research and Development Establishment (RARDE) would have a sample as it was not their area of research, so I wrote to the Defence Research Agency (DRA) and the Defence Clothing and Textiles Agency (DCTA) a few years back as clothing (including badges) is the reemit of DCTA not RARDE (DRA) and both could not confirm the existence of a sample of this badge, nor did they deny there may have been one at Fort Halstead!

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 21-03-16, 09:54 PM

If I remember correctly (it was 33 years ago) the badge was in a small glazed frame with some anodised buttons. I think it may have been part of a larger RARDE display of metal items including munitions. If it was framed in the late 1940s (68 years ago!) I am not surprised that DRA and DCTA had no knowledge as there were no Defence Agencies until the 1990s. Following the closure of the Pimlico clothing factory, the Royal Army Clothing Department was wound up in 1933 and the store depot merged into the Central Ordnance Depot at Didcot. During the Second World War provision of clothing and stores were taken over by the Ministry of Supply; its headquarters were at Chessington and it had branches at Branston, Didcot, Farnborough and Woolwich Arsenal. On the demise of the Ministry of Supply in 1959, responsibility for military clothing and stores transferred back to the War Office.
The organization in the War Office was rationalised down to a Directorate of Stores and Clothing Development (DSCD) at Chessington, a separate Stores and Clothing Inspection Department at Didcot and a Clothing and Equipment Physiological Research Establishment at Farnborough. From 1964, the creation of a unified Ministry of Defence led to incorporation of the other services clothing and equipment requirements into DSCD. In 1967, DSCD moved to a new site in Colchester and was re-named the Stores and Clothing Research and Development Establishment (SCRDE). In 1972 the inspection work at Didcot became the Quality Assurance Directorate (Stores and Clothing) and both it and SCRDE came under the Director of Clothing and Textiles under the Director General Ordnance Services. In 1994 the Defence Clothing and Textile Agency was created with its headquarters at Andover, a Quality and Product Support Division at Didcot, a Science and Technology Division at Colchester, a Procurement Division at Glasgow and a Provisioning Division at Bicester.

Always Intersting to have mysteries in badges!

Tim
Old 22-03-16, 05:01 PM

Agreed, most military badge/button/insignia production is by contract and the same manufactures produced the prototypes and samples from official drawings hoping for orders in return, and from small initial orders the sealed patterns were produced, and orders placed on more than one manufacture. I wonder who made these RAOC samples with pressed lugs which I have never seen before?

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 22-03-16, 08:44 PM

Mike,
Thinking about it and purely speculation but perhaps Fort Halsted "inherited" a collection of items from Ministry of Supply sites as they were closed down? Possibly trials using anodised aluminium were conducted by Woolwich or other armament manufacturers?

Tim
Old 07-05-17, 03:58 PM

Hi
I can't find Alan's original email with his photograph of the KC anodised aluminium RAOC badge that he found, only this subsequent thread, however I came across this one in the UK over the weekend.

It is definitely a/a and has integral lugs similar to those on the a/a Highland Brigade badge. I've taken a side on shot to hopefully show the lugs better. Is this another example of the RAOC a/a badge in question?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1172.jpg (44.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1173.jpg (41.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1174.jpg (26.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-05-17, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mark

I have merged the thread for ease of reference.
Old 08-05-17, 08:20 AM

Default RAOC a/a

Brilliant find, well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Here it is.

The first ever issued a/a cap badge to be introduced by the British Army in 1947.

A short lived trial as they were prone to breaking and this one has only one lug left.

I have been waiting for it to arrive for a couple of weeks to confirm that it was indeed anodised aluminium and not anodised base metal. It is indeed a/a and whilst not unique, the location of another one is not known to my knowledge. See page 4&5 of Chris' excellent book which states that one was last reported to have been seen in 1983.

Alan
Old 25-05-17, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Hi
I can't find Alan's original email with his photograph of the KC anodised aluminium RAOC badge that he found, only this subsequent thread, however I came across this one in the UK over the weekend.

It is definitely a/a and has integral lugs similar to those on the a/a Highland Brigade badge. I've taken a side on shot to hopefully show the lugs better. Is this another example of the RAOC a/a badge in question?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Very fine-looking example of an extremely desirable cap badge. Well done Mark, on a great find of this v rare badge and hopefully you will get it soon. As it is one of the very few absences in my beautiful wall-mounted AA collection, I cannot suppress just a little amicable envy, but many congratulations to you!
Old 25-05-17, 04:34 PM

Nice find mate - proof positive to all of us that they are all still out there somewhere!

Regards all

Bess
Old 27-05-17, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

great badge - now where did you find it?

None rarer so a really good find.