British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-17, 05:11 PM

Default RM shoulder titles

Good evening

Can anyone tell me what shoulder titles were worn by the Royal Marines in ww1? Was it for example RMLI, RMA or was RM also used.

Thanks

Martyn

Last edited by Martyn123; 30-09-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 30-09-17, 07:52 PM

Hi Martyn

During the First World War marines would have worn either RMLI or RMA titles. They weren't combined to form the Royal Marines until 1923, which is when they adopted the RM titles.

During the First World War there also existed a couple of other Royal Marine organisations which had their own titles - the Royal Marines Labour Corps (RMLC) and the Royal Marines Engineers (RME). And don't forget that the Royal Marines Band Service wore RMB.

Pete
Old 30-09-17, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
Hi Martyn

During the First World War marines would have worn either RMLI or RMA titles. They weren't combined to form the Royal Marines until 1923, which is when they adopted the RM titles.

During the First World War there also existed a couple of other Royal Marine organisations which had their own titles - the Royal Marines Labour Corps (RMLC) and the Royal Marines Engineers (RME). And don't forget that the Royal Marines Band Service wore RMB.

Pete
I thought that they were all titled with the word "Marine", until amalgamation when the letter "s" was added making it "Marines".

Marc
Old 30-09-17, 08:44 PM

Many thanks for the useful information I'm trying to put together a ww1 display on ww1 units so will exclude the regular RM shoulder title.
Old 30-09-17, 09:38 PM

Marc

You're right about the RMA and the RMLI - they should have been 'Marine' and not 'Marines'. Just wrote 'Marines' without thinking!

The RME and the RMLC are correctly 'Marines'.

Pete
Old 01-10-17, 05:55 AM

There are many 'RM' STs incorrectly listed as ww1 on the internet.

I have one with the stamped hexagonal lugs. I have seen these lugs on ww1 titles such as Army Service Corps so they were obviously used during this period. Does anybody know when they stopped (if they have) using these types of lug? Is it likely that my 'RM' title dates to the early post ww1 period, ie 1920s?

Thanks

Martyn

Last edited by Martyn123; 01-10-17 at 07:10 AM.