British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-17, 12:02 PM

Default WW2 R.E. steel helmet divisional sign

Could anyone please enlighten me as to the significance of the blue, yellow, blue triangular flash on this R.E. steel helmet?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Divisional flash.jpg (58.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg R E Flash.jpg (43.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-05-17, 12:27 PM

Default 66 (Lancs and Border) Division

This is the formation sign of the very short lived British 66 (Lancs and Border) Division. This was raised as the duplicate of 42 (East Lance) Division in 1939 and was disbanded in June 1940. The formation did not serve outside UK. The sign was not worn on uniform. This must be a very rare helmet - do you own it? Mike
Old 11-05-17, 01:24 PM

The 66th Division used the same sign during WWI.
The badge on the front of the helmet is a King Geo V version of the RE's badge - is it definitely a WWIi rather than WWI helmet?
Old 11-05-17, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
This is the formation sign of the very short lived British 66 (Lancs and Border) Division. This was raised as the duplicate of 42 (East Lance) Division in 1939 and was disbanded in June 1940. The formation did not serve outside UK. The sign was not worn on uniform. This must be a very rare helmet - do you own it? Mike
Thank you, somewhere I have a 66th Division Great War Christmas card with the same formation sign on it; it had completely slipped my mind. The helmet belongs to a friend of mine who asked me to identify the F.S.

Simon
Old 11-05-17, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The 66th Division used the same sign during WWI.
The badge on the front of the helmet is a King Geo V version of the RE's badge - is it definitely a WWIi rather than WWI helmet?
Yes, despite the KGV cipher on the R.E. badge it is a WW2 helmet as it appears to be stamped 1940. I was told that there may be a Home Guard connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940.jpg (67.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-05-17, 04:20 PM

It looks more ww1 to me with that chin strap and what seems to be a mild steel rim rather than stainless steel, perhaps someone with more knowledge on helmets will tell you.
Old 11-05-17, 06:40 PM

Does it have any small perforations stamped through the metal of the rim on either side? (Edit - of course it hasn't, they'd show in the photo).
I've forgotten the designations of the helmets with varying numbers of perforations, but they were of inferior quality and used on the Home Front.
I have one with two or three on each side and a Royal Fusiliers transfer badge on the front, which I take to be a Home Guard helmet.
I don't read the "1940" as such (0140?). I'm not sure what the stamping is. The liner and as already stated the chinstrap aren't right for a WWII helmet.
A WWI private purchase (if only the liner) officers helmet?

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 11-05-17 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Stupidity.
Old 11-05-17, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Does it have any small perforations stamped through the metal of the rim on either side? (Edit - of course it hasn't, they'd show in the photo).
I've forgotten the designations of the helmets with varying numbers of perforations, but they were of inferior quality and used on the Home Front.
I have one with two or three on each side and a Royal Fusiliers transfer badge on the front, which I take to be a Home Guard helmet.
I don't read the "1940" as such (0140?). I'm not sure what the stamping is. The liner and as already stated the chinstrap aren't right for a WWII helmet.
A WWI private purchase (if only the liner) officers helmet?
Yes, it turns out that it is a Great War helmet, I have only seen photographs not the actual helmet. Thank you to every one who has contributed.

Here is my mate's response:

Hi Simon,
just got online now, many thanks for the info, brilliant results.
The pot is definitely WW1 and the number/code stamp is the manufacturers code, it looks like 40 but possibly letter O for rare maker.
I was not expecting to find any info on flashes, over the moon, thanks again. D.
Old 12-05-17, 12:13 PM

The 1918 66th Division Christmas card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41photos 002.jpg (31.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 41photos 003.jpg (79.1 KB, 8 views)