British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-02-09, 12:11 PM

Default Hard decision? got to sell some of my prized badges

Hi guys i now this is a bit off topic but would like to hear if any of you guys have had to sell some of your prized badges because you needed to free up funds.

Basically a family friend who i have known all my life has made me an offer i just cant refuse, only thing is i need to sell some of my stuff. He has offered me his Jaguar MKII 3.4 which has alot of family memories and at an amazing price. Only proviser is that i have to keep it which is a no brainer. As i said though the flipside is that i will have to sell some of my stuff, the way i am looking at it at the moment is that the stuff i will sell will at some point be able to be bought back wereas the Jag is the only one of its kind that has the memories and emotional attachment.

Anyway first item i am listing on Ebay is my prized Liverpool Pals Cap Badge which is hallmarked in Chester making it from what i believe rarer. will have it on by sunday latest. will post the thread once i have listed it. Have a look at my other posts for pics and more info.
Old 14-02-09, 01:56 PM

Hi, I understand family memories, so in your case it is likely the correct decision. I would not sell any of my badges to buy a car, unless I had no money and it packed up/got wrecked/stolen and I had no other way of replacing it. Would not even do it to get the Queen's Rolls. Andrew
Old 14-02-09, 04:01 PM

Borrow the money from the bank to buy the car... if you are a badge collector and it's your most prized badge you shouldn't sell it unless you were in dire circumstances... lost your job and the family is going to go hungry. If you just have a few badges (one or two that happen to be rare and worth alot) then go ahead and sell them to get the car... you can replace them later if you want to... those are my thoughts... hope it helps
Old 14-02-09, 04:24 PM
Former Member

Default Car or Badges

Don't do it!!!

Whatever you pay for the car, it'll be worth a lot less the following day! No matter how prestige it'll depreciate! Your badges will however hold their value, are easier to store and maintain and don't need petrol! Go to your bank and get a further advance on your mortgage and use that to pay for the car! Don't get rid of a investment to pay for a liability!

Friendly advice!!!! In the end it's you decision either way! - Andy
Old 14-02-09, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys, yeah if this was about a normal car it wouldnt even cross my mind, this car is tied into so many family occasions, my mum and dad used it as one of there wedding cars, when i was a boy i used to go on holiday in this thing. there are alot of memories of my grandparents who sadly are not here any more, ironically enough the guy who left me the badges and got me started was my grandad and i have loads of pictures of me, my dad and grandad working on the car. if he was here i think he would just tell me to sell and make sure the car stays in the family.

the link for the pals cap badge is here, take a look: cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320341216607&ssPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011
Old 14-02-09, 05:49 PM

Sorry guys I have to disagree, but I'm only a lurker so don't really count That's a beautiful car without the memories -go for it. Your badges will still be kept by collectors for eternity, these sort of cars won't be around for ever. At least not at affordable prices.
Old 14-02-09, 08:29 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default selling badges

Hello gentlemen,
I don't know a lot about badges, ever willing to learn obviously, I know even less about Jags.
I think I'm with Andy on this one, having said that, I am also unloading some of my collection but only to invest the proceeds in better badges, now that is, I think, justified.
Regards,
Dave.