British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-11, 10:08 PM

Default Boyles

You are right! I just found a photograph of a captain wearing a service cap with the original Boyle's badge. Clearly visible in the picture are the collar insignia in the same, slightly modified form. I've also seen a photo of Boyle without a cap and he is wearing the 'maple leaf' collar insignia. Obviously, this unit had a number of variations in the accoutrements over time. Amazing variety for such a small unit.
Old 19-08-11, 10:10 PM

Default A "Boyle's" boy.

Here's the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can_mg_motor_3140.jpg (16.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 20-08-11, 12:15 AM

I apologise that this post will add nothing to the value of this thread, usually Canadian badges would not have interested me that much (Leinster Regiment ((Royal Canadians) excepted).

But living now south of one of the lakes I find that Canadian military insignia, especially those Great War and earlier is fascinating. I have enjoyed these threads.

Keep it up you are generally very objective and always interesting.

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 20-08-11 at 12:29 AM. Reason: bracket in wrong place!
Old 20-08-11, 07:42 PM

Default Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery badges

Just to let you all know that even though the reference to the 28-3 badge in this CEF portion of this site is refered to as Boyle's Yukon Machine Gun Battery, this is wrong. I have just recently written an article in several well known Canadian collecting journals about these badges after over 35 years of research dealing with these units. In all my data I have from the LAC and other collectors, no where does it mention that this is Boyle's unit. It IS simply Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery and should from now on be refered to as this. Maybe this should be changed on the CEF portion of the site ? My suggestion if you wish to change this. Boyle's men did serve in this unit but so did members from the Yukon Inf Coy and even members who were not from the Yukon having been transfered in. By the time these badges were made for the unit, Boyle was off in Russia and Romania have a grand adventure. Boyle never wore these badges. I do have pictures of what badges Boyle, and the members when the unit was first formed, would have worn and be happy to send along to the CEF section of this site. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to hear from them and discuss this.
Old 21-08-11, 12:04 PM

Default Boyle

Boyle certainly wore the maple leaf shaped collars as I have a picture of him (hatless) with the collars plainly evident. These collars include the inscription "Boyle's" in the banner, this in addition to the prominent MGD at the center of the collar. The association between Boyle and the Motor Machine Gun Detachment is clear on this collar.
Old 21-08-11, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Tim, and welcome to the Forum. Most of my comments were based on your article in the CSMMI Journal.
The YMMGB identity has been intertwined with Boyle so thoroughly it will take a lot of education to get collectors to change to the correct terminology. I am not sure how we change 50 or more years of collecting "wisdom". Charlton's First World War Canadian Corps Badges calls the cross Vickers MG badge "Boyles Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery". Perpetuation of the mis-nomer is embedded in the references.
Old 22-08-11, 03:48 PM

Default "Boyles" Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery

So, I went to the Canadian Forces Directorate of History and Heritage today to see what their take on the Boyle's vs Yukon nomenclature was. Here is what their documents say:

An establishment was authorized for the Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery (then Boyle's Machine Gun Detachment) and it was attached to the 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles as that regiments machine gun section on 18 February 1915.[H.Q. 593-12-1 dated 30 July 1917 (NAC, RG 24 vol. 4665, file HQ 593-12-1)]. Upon arrival in England, the unit was attached to Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery on 26 July 1915.[Canadian Machine Gun Corps History] The name changed unofficially to Boyle’s Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery in July 1915; and was redesignated Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery on 14 June 1916.[History of CMGC p.33] On 16 August 1916 it arrived in France and was attached to 1st Cdn Motor Machine Gun Brigade.[History of Canadian Machine Gun Corps, pg.35] On 5 June 1918 it was absorbed by 2nd Cdn Motor Machine Gun Brigade.[2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, extract from Canadian Corps M.G. 25-5 5/75 dated 5 June 1918, filed in RG 24 Volume 1835 File GAQ 9-15]

The Yukon Infantry Company was organized as the 17th Machine Gun Company in February 1917.[RO 689, dated 16 February 1917]. The company was absorbed into the 2nd Cdn Motor Machine Gun Brigade 5 June 1918.[2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, extract from Canadian Corps M.G. 25-5/75 dated 5 June 1918, filed in RG 24 volume 1835 file GAQ9-15] This unit was disbanded 15 November 1920 [G.O. 209/20]

The Second Motor Machine Gun Brigade was organized in Ourton France (5 June 1918) by absorbing Yukon Motor Machine Gun Battery, Eaton Motor Machine Gun Battery, and the 17th and 19th Motor Machine Gun Companies. [2nd Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, extract from Canadian Corps M.G. 25-5/75 dated 5 June 1918, filed in RG 24 Vol. 1835, File GAQ 9-15]The unit was disbanded 15 November 1920 [G.O. 209/20]
Old 31-08-11, 09:12 PM

Tim Popp's article on Yukon badges is in the latest Military Collectors' Club of Canada Journal. Excellent article. Rather than infringe on copyright, I would encourage interested collectors to join the club so that they can read the article for themselves.

Phil