British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-18, 08:56 AM

Note the similarities between the Special Duties arm-band, & the ATC Civilian Instructor armband

By similar, I mean grey-coloured stiff tightly-woven material, with white pale edge-stripes. Intriguing that the SD design does not adhere to the AMO horizontal stripes version that was promulgated via 'Flight'.

Any significance in the collection curators marking the reserve collection Special Duties badges with a post-war dates label? I had thought these were WW2 and onwards.
Old 31-01-18, 09:34 AM
Banned

The SD badge and armband are the two shown in Margaret Nobbs' 'Nobbs Notes', and the only ones I've seen. Re your points though, Jon does say in his original post that the SD armband (with stripe top and bottom) was later replaced by the horizontal striped arm flash. Perhaps Flight was quoting an early thought on design with was changed in practice?

I'd think the design of SD armband follows that of most others- wool construction, embroidered SD lettering, backed in cotton canvas and closed with poppers. The stripes top and bottom are pale blue. The ATC armband is sewn closed (non adjustable) and simply printed in dark blue on a white cotton canvas cloth. It was introduced in 1941 and of identical design, still worn today.
Old 01-02-18, 10:35 PM
Banned

A couple of odds I found in a file...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF Official Duties badge details.jpg (99.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg RAF 'Official Duties' Badge.jpg (57.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-02-18, 10:40 PM
Banned

Here is another. Not sure of the origin, but it probably helped to push the myth they were for WAAF plotters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Special Duties badges.jpg (76.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 26-02-18, 11:36 PM
Banned

My hand made example. Far East perhaps...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180226_231033.jpg (86.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 14-04-18, 10:04 PM

I don't know if anybody noticed that there is a gilt version of the Special Duties Cap Badge shown in the Professor Thomas collection up for auction next week. Does anyone know of this badge, as all the ones I have ever seen before were Chromed/white metal? Hope they don't mind as I pinched the pic from their catalogue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Special Duties Gold.jpg (22.2 KB, 18 views)