British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-09-10, 08:50 PM

Default DUBLIN OTC Capbadge?

Dublin UOTC.jpg

rear of Dublin uotc.jpg
Gentlemen,
had this a while. Is it original, nice convex shape to it.
Also, expected price to ask for one of these too?
Era?
Many thanks
Jon
Old 07-09-10, 10:15 PM

Jon, DUOTC was Pre to WW1. I doubt very much it survived after the Easter uprising.

I cannot put a solid price on it. OTC's cost £25-160 you may be able to add £20 for the Dublin connection. A niche market I'd think.
Old 07-09-10, 11:24 PM

Jon

The University of Dublin OTC was founded in 1910 with Infantry ( 3 coys) , Engineer (1 Fortress Coy) , Medical (1 Field Amb section) and ASC (1 Tpt & Supply section) components.

In April 1910 Bronze cap badges cost 4 pence each with WM versions at 6 p each. The unit was wound up in 1922 on the formation of the Irish Free State. The unit was formed in what is now known as Trinity College (as opposed to the later University College Dublin). The unit contributed to the defences of the college during the 1916 Easter Rising.

In 1930 a new OTC was formed in Trinity this time as part of the reserve of the Irish Defence Forces.

Your badge does indeed date from the first OTC 1910 - 1922 and looks good to me (I have not yet seen these faked) and from what I see goes for GBP 300 +/- 50 when sold at the likes of Bosleys.

Source of the historical data is 1989, Willoughby Roger “A Military History of the University of Dublin and its Officer Training Corps 1910-1922” The Medal Society of Ireland Special Publication No 1.

John
Old 08-09-10, 01:00 PM

hi jon,

a lovely badge,looks ok to me and would take johns oponion as quoted at a good auction house.

there is a publication out by the medal society of ireland called "the insignia of the officers training corps in ireland 1908-2007" by J McDONNELL

this gives all the otcs and ccfs in ireland,a very interesting read

philip
Old 08-09-10, 08:43 PM

Lovely badge Jon, 2 of these sold at Bosleys last year, £165 in July & £110 in Oct so a bit of variation there ! Hope this helps you, cheers,
Wilf.
Old 09-09-10, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Lovely badge Jon, 2 of these sold at Bosleys last year, £165 in July & £110 in Oct so a bit of variation there ! Hope this helps you, cheers,
Wilf.
Wilf,

thanks for posting the prices, I have over estimated this one, I wonder if I am thinking of the larger badge the circular device surmounted with the crown with pierced scroll below?

John
Old 09-09-10, 01:20 PM

Default Prices realised

Hi Gentlemen,
at the end of the day, as we all know, a price is only a guide.It could go for 50 quid, or 500 quid, depending who wants what on the day,that is the beauty of collecting.Rarely we get something nice cheaply, but of course more often than not, we have to pay through the nose.
Have a good day
Jon
Old 25-10-10, 10:38 AM

Default dublin otc badge

hi jon, i put in a bid of £188 for this badge in bosleys postal auction 20th october 2010 and was outbid! maybe better luck next time eh, however i was lucky on all my other bids. regards john
Old 25-10-10, 04:35 PM

Blimey
thats nice to hear (for me of course). Wonder how much i get after commission.
Will keep my eyes peeled for anything similar John.
Well done on your bids otherwise,i decided to hold back from bidding.
Regards
Jon
Old 20-01-13, 08:36 PM

Just wondered, does anyone know if the Dublin University OTC had Pipes & Drums?
Aad
Old 21-01-13, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Just wondered, does anyone know if the Dublin University OTC had Pipes & Drums?
Aad
It appears as if they did.

Although Willoughby in his history of the unit (scan of cover below) makes no direct mention of one, he does refer to page 158 of Kenneth C. Bailey, A History of Trinity College Dublin 1892-1945 Dublin University Press and Hodges, Figgis & Co. 1947.

The reference relates to the 1911 coronation, at which a contingent of the OTC participated and states that "it was the Trinity pipers that played the column of university O.T.C.s into position." I do not have access to a copy of that book to provide anything further.

More evidence comes from "The Dictonary of Irish Biography" a collaborative project between Cambridge University Press and the Royal Irish Academy. It notes William Andrews, as being the pipe major of the Dublin University O.T.C. c. 1913.

A link to the entry is here with follow up references should you wish to research further.

http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPag...rticleId=a0169

I have also attached Appendix A from Willooughby, a scan of the list of members who are known to have been in the Coronation contingent. In that you will see a reference to a photo of the party which might be worth following up.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dublin OTC cover 001.jpg (64.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Dublin OTC 1911 Coronation contingent 001.jpg (72.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 24-02-13, 08:16 PM

John,
Thank you for the information about P/M William Nathaniel ANDREWS; I found out that he was born in 1873 in Dublin and died there in 1939. I have still got to find out when exactly he was the P/M and if there have been any other P/Ms in the DUOTC prior to 1922.
Aad