British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-10, 04:15 PM

Default Directorate of Borneo Operations FS

Dear all,

The attached scans are of a printed Formation sign of mine. I am seeking more information about the personnel/unit who wore it and dates of wear.

My identification of it comes from JK Cossum Cloth Indisgnia 1860-1993, Fig.91a. This Formation Sign does not appear to have been submitted to the Army Dress Committee for approval, but it may have been granted a 'Flag' (not Colours).

Searches on the web indicate the Directorate was British Army reporting to FARELF @ 1966, controlling operations by British & Australian SAS chasing terrorists on both sides of the Borneo/Indonesia borders.

Hopefully I'll get more info on this than on my 'REPATRIATION' patch submitted last week!

Thanks in anticpiation, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Directorate of Borneo Op FS (1).jpg (79.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Directorate of Borneo Op FS (2).jpg (73.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-01-11, 06:53 PM

Worn by the staff of HQ Directorate of Borneo Operations (DOBOPS). The HQ was located far from the action on Labuan Island (off Sarawak). For most of the campaign HQ DOBOPS had the equivalent of three infantry brigades under command - a mixture of British (including Gurkha and RM Commando) troops, Australians and New Zealanders, all with organic RA and RE (and Aust and NZ equivalent) support. So rather more than the SAS mentioned above!
The bird is a Borneo Sea Eagle (which could be seen fishing on the Kuching River when we were sailing home to Singapore).
As far as I know (and I spent a year in Sarawak) the sign was not worn by personnel other than the HQ staff. Some troops ( for example some Gurkha and an Armoured Car Squadron) wore the same formations signs that they would have been wearing back in Malaya proper (ie 63 or 99 Gurkha Bde and 17 Gurkha Div). The only other sign I saw was the hornbill sign and shoulder title of the Sarawak Border Scouts.
Old 11-01-11, 10:13 PM

Default Directorate of Borneo Operations FS

Mike,

Many thanks for the information. I thought there was more to this than the SAS, sadly on the web (and in the auction rooms) only the SAS seem to hold any attraction.

Regards, Stephen.
Old 12-01-11, 08:52 AM

Stephen,
Try the excellent website "Britain's Small Wars" - which has comprehensive information on operations in Sarawak, Sabah and Brunei. I should also have added that I have examples of the DOBOPS sign which have been worn - evidenced by the press studs sewn to the backing material.
Mike
Old 12-01-11, 10:05 AM

A worn example.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 09:33 PM

Default Director of Operations Borneo

Another worn example with press studs on back

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Formation D Ops Borneo.jpg (21.7 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 28-07-15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 22-01-15, 02:10 AM

[QUOTE=Mike Jackson;95993]Worn by the staff of HQ Directorate of Borneo Operations (DOBOPS).
As far as I know (and I spent a year in Sarawak) the sign was not worn by personnel other than the HQ staff.

I spent 9 months in Borneo. 3 months with 21 Const Sqn RAE and 6 months with 22 Const. Sqn. RAE and everybody wore the 'Sea Eagle" shoulder patch.
It wasn't worn just by office wallahs and SAS.
I read that it was somehow a personal patch of the DOBOPS.

Major General Walter Walker (DOBOPS) instigated operations code name "CLARET" from around July 1964 until July 1966. These operations involved Special Forces / 22 SAS in 4 man reconnaissance, intelligence, and ambush patrols from Sarawak and Sabah across the border into Indonesian Kalimatan.
Claret Operation remained secret for 30 years.

As stated by Mike there were a lot of other troops involved beside SAS.
As an Australian Engineer we shared a camp with 4 Royal Tank Regt. The Australian Army had infantry there as well. The Aust. Navy and Aust. Air force were also involved.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...rneo-269659376

Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers.
Old 25-01-15, 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=ausibatla;295472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Worn by the staff of HQ Directorate of Borneo Operations (DOBOPS).
As far as I know (and I spent a year in Sarawak) the sign was not worn by personnel other than the HQ staff.

I spent 9 months in Borneo. 3 months with 21 Const Sqn RAE and 6 months with 22 Const. Sqn. RAE and everybody wore the 'Sea Eagle" shoulder patch.
It wasn't worn just by office wallahs and SAS.
I read that it was somehow a personal patch of the DOBOPS.

Major General Walter Walker (DOBOPS) instigated operations code name "CLARET" from around July 1964 until July 1966. These operations involved Special Forces / 22 SAS in 4 man reconnaissance, intelligence, and ambush patrols from Sarawak and Sabah across the border into Indonesian Kalimatan.
Claret Operation remained secret for 30 years.

As stated by Mike there were a lot of other troops involved beside SAS.
As an Australian Engineer we shared a camp with 4 Royal Tank Regt. The Australian Army had infantry there as well. The Aust. Navy and Aust. Air force were also involved.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...rneo-269659376

Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers.
Thanks - very interesting. Just to clarify - the recce for cross border "Claret" ops was mainly carried out UK, Aus and NZ SAS but the actual raiding and so-called fire assaults on Indonesian bases was carried out by the infantry battalions (usually reinforced platoon or light company strength with RA/RAA FOO with them). I served at Red 336 (Plaman Mapu) in First Division, Sarawak with 40 Cdo, 1 A&SH, 1 DLI and 1 RNZIR (as a Cdo Gunner). Mike
Old 29-01-15, 12:01 PM

Stephen,

I have extracted this from a National Archives file but at the moment stupidly cannot find the exact reference. I'll dig it out and post it when found.

Jon

The formation sign for British Forces Borneo submitted to the War Office by HQ FARELF in January 1964 depicted ‘an indigenous, free ranging, white bellied sea eagle which being aggressive of habits is considered to be indicative of the role and combined nature of the force’. Its use was approved in February 1964 although FARELF’s proposal that it be worn by Army members of HQ British Forces Borneo, all battalions serving in the area for periods in excess of six months and administrative units specially raised for Borneo Operations was modified by the War Office who restricted its use to units in Borneo which were not part of 17th Division, 28th Commonwealth Brigade or 48th, 51st and 99th Brigades.
Old 29-01-15, 12:20 PM

Stephen,

The details are in National Archives file WO32/16529 entitled
Formation Sign Design.

Jon
Old 06-02-15, 12:04 AM

Default thanks

[QUOTE=Mike Jackson;295886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausibatla View Post

Thanks - very interesting. Just to clarify - the recce for cross border "Claret" ops was mainly carried out UK, Aus and NZ SAS but the actual raiding and so-called fire assaults on Indonesian bases was carried out by the infantry battalions (usually reinforced platoon or light company strength with RA/RAA FOO with them). I served at Red 336 (Plaman Mapu) in First Division, Sarawak with 40 Cdo, 1 A&SH, 1 DLI and 1 RNZIR (as a Cdo Gunner). Mike
True, most actual raiding was carried out by infantry units, ie, 40/42 Cdo RM, Gurkha,s and others. My recollection is that all forces that actualy did more than 60 days in Sarawk, Brunei and Sabah wore this patch
Old 28-07-15, 07:37 PM

Default Are these scarce and valuable?

I'm glad to say I picked one up for a tenner at the last stall I visited the weekend just gone.
Old 26-12-15, 04:28 PM

Default Sea Eagle patch

[QUOTE=42/45 CdoRM;297745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post

True, most actual raiding was carried out by infantry units, ie, 40/42 Cdo RM, Gurkha,s and others. My recollection is that all forces that actualy did more than 60 days in Sarawk, Brunei and Sabah wore this patch
Hi Mike
I know it was a long time ago but we did more than 60 days in Borneo and continued to wear our 17 Div patch.
Arty
Old 26-12-15, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=ARTY;336899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42/45 CdoRM View Post

Hi Mike
I know it was a long time ago but we did more than 60 days in Borneo and continued to wear our 17 Div patch.
Arty
Which unit were you serving in in Sarawak? Mike
Old 02-02-16, 08:25 PM

Default Borneo

Hi Mike
Forgot to answer post I was C Sqn The Life Guards LAD Wong Padong mind it was all over by the shouting when we were there.
arty