British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-12, 08:46 PM

Default Information Required for WW1 OTC - VTC and VR

Hi,

i am new to the field of badge collecting for Officer Training Corps, Volunteer Training Corps and Volunteer Regiment.
And i am looking for information about WW1 regiments and corps that were formed just for the duration of WW1.
I have got Kipling and King's books both volumes, also Reginald Cox book of military badges of 1914-18 and i also have a copy of OTC-CCF and ACF badges by Keith Rawlings.
What i am looking for is information that might give dates for when they were formed , or what regiment battalions might have been formed just for this time.
Any help would be great start.
Andy
Old 12-05-12, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertsmil View Post
Hi,

i am new to the field of badge collecting for Officer Training Corps, Volunteer Training Corps and Volunteer Regiment.
And i am looking for information about WW1 regiments and corps that were formed just for the duration of WW1.
I have got Kipling and King's books both volumes, also Reginald Cox book of military badges of 1914-18 and i also have a copy of OTC-CCF and ACF badges by Keith Rawlings.
What i am looking for is information that might give dates for when they were formed , or what regiment battalions might have been formed just for this time.
Any help would be great start.
Andy
Greshams school (otc) . there has been a book made in the last 2 years on there history, as for the other norfolk and norwich school i am not sure.
Old 12-05-12, 10:38 AM

Default Info required

For the VTC I'd get a copy of John Sainsbury's book on the Herts VTC, published a couple of years ago. It not only cover the herts units in detail but provides much national policy and uniform info.
To my knowledge there are no comprehensive books available on the VTC units nationally. To find info I've used the National Newspaper Collection of the British Library (its in Hendon), as they hold an almost complete run of The VTC's own newspaper.
For the OTC, Rawlings is the only comprehensive list of badges. Ray westlake produced a book listing all the cadet units (OTC and Cadets) formed priro to the early 1930's, which was basically a transcription of info listed in Army Orders so isn't comprehensive (I don't own a copy so I cannot tell you its full title).
The Military Historical Society newsletter has had numerous articles over the years. A full run of these is held at the University Library, Cambridge, and I presume the National Army Museum.

Hope this helps, Stephen.
Old 12-05-12, 07:42 PM

Forum member Graham Stewart has one of the best collections of details on the VTC and has published works on that organisation before. He is both very approachable and knowledegable.
Old 26-08-14, 09:01 PM

Default SEEKING IDENTIFICATION OF CAP BADGE

hello, new to this so I'll just dive in. The attached photo is of a young WW1 soldier. I found the photo inside a locket belonging to my deceased Maternal Grandmother. No living family members recognize the soldier, he may have been a boyfriend at the time. As part of my attempts to determine his identity I need to identify the cap badge. Can anyone help please?

(Hopefully the attachment worked, again, I'm new to this)

Thanks for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unkwn Photo from Rosas Locket - 2.jpg (40.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 28-08-14, 06:42 AM

The cap badge may be Army Ordnance Corps.

( there appears to be something at the top of the badge which if part of the badge would mean it is not AOC)

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-08-14, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I would agree AOC. The tailored collar is not right for a cadet but looks like a serving soldier.