British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-07-14, 01:01 PM

Default Havelock academy C.C.F.

on 1 april 2012 Havelock became an established ccf.

The CCF title is worn on the brassard, POACHERS is worn on the square blanking plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0226.jpg (116.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 19-07-14, 01:31 PM

Default Havelock Academy CCF

Can you supply any more information: location etc.

Thanks, Stephen.

Edit- found them now- this was a CCF unit in Grimsby between 1961/63.

Last edited by badjez; 19-07-14 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 19-07-14, 05:03 PM

I just spent a week in the company of this CCF unit in Cornwall (and lovely people they are too !)
The "Poachers" title is worn on the left hand blanking plate in PCS MTP uniform, no title is worn on the right hand blanking plate and brassards are no longer worn. All cadets wear an olive green rank slide with the word "Cadet" in red, below this is rank insignia (if an NCO) and below the rank insignia is the wording "Havelock Academy CCF", rank insignia and title are in black. all ranks wear an anodised Royal Anglian Regiment cap badge on a khaki beret complete with black tombstone backing.
Whilst a unit may have existed in the 1960s, this one was formed as part of the "Expansion of Cadet Forces in Schools" initiative and was one of the first ones formed (in 2012). All newly formed units are "twinned" with an existing unit for at least one and sometimes two years during which time the existing unit acts as mentors to the new unit until the new unit becomes independent. Havelock Academy were "twinned" with Uppingham School.
There is no official sanction for the wearing of the "Poachers" title - the unit is affiliated to 2nd Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment, the SSI (School Staff Instructor) is ex 2 Royal Anglian and was given a load of the titles by his old battalion (who no longer wear them) and decided to instigate the wearing of the title. I would imagine the wearing of this title will be short lived.
Other "twinning" partnerships within the 49 Brigade area are as follows:-
Dukeries Academy with Worksop College
Samworth Church Academy with Mount St Mary's College
Heanor Academy with Repton School

I am sure there will be more !

PL
Old 19-07-14, 05:48 PM

The information provided by Norfolk Regt Man and Paul is just the sort of thing that needs to be recorded so that if anyone has any queries on the insignia of this unit in the future it will be available somewhere.

There are some many queries I have on even recent insignia worn by cadets that never appears to have been recorded that it may have been sadly lost forever. I can only hope that Forums like ours will provide answers for future interested parties.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-07-14, 05:12 PM

Default VIKINGS & POACHERS

VIKINGS and POACHERS shoulder titles in slightly different manufacture. Royal Anglian affiliated ACF or CCF perhaps??

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010612.jpg (50.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P1010613.jpg (51.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 20-07-14, 06:11 PM

I don't think that they are ACF or CCF but were worn by the 1st battalion (Vikings), and 2nd battalion (Poachers), they were certainly being worn by those units circa 2005. Havelock Academy CCF are the only cadet unit that i know of that wears these titles (albeit unofficially)
PL
Old 20-07-14, 07:07 PM

Default VIKINGS & POACHERS

Paul,

Many thanks. Here for comparison are 3 POACHERS and 2 VIKINGS all slightly different in manufacture.
Also a brassard worn by 1 R ANGLIAN on a UN BOSNIA tour (photo from Essex Regiment museum Chelmsford).

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010689.jpg (42.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg P1010691.jpg (42.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1 R Anglian Bosnia.jpg (55.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-07-14, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Paul,

Many thanks. Here for comparison are 3 POACHERS and 2 VIKINGS all slightly different in manufacture.
Also a brassard worn by 1 R ANGLIAN on a UN BOSNIA tour (photo from Essex Regiment museum Chelmsford).

Tim
Hi Tim, The bottom Vikings is uncommon, and here the are three Poachers like yours and one other for you to look out for. Basically I think the current shoulder titles are being made cheaper with every order that is placed, and that's why there are so many different types and colour shades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0231.jpg (116.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by norfolk regt man; 22-07-14 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Got it wrong, not top vikings but bottom one.