British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-17, 03:02 PM

Smile Cheshire VB officers badge

I have just bought this off Bosley's, its the first one I have come across in all my years of collecting. I always thought there would be one out there waiting for me. Cheshire Regiment VB officers silvered cap badge 1898-1908.
Old 30-12-17, 03:10 PM

George,

I saw that one but thought it might be a Militia badge as it has no separate VB title scroll below the star like the Cheshire VB Bronze OSD badges have.

What do you think?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 30-12-17, 04:18 PM

Smile

Hello Simon, the photo's I have of the Cheshire militia officers show them wearing the regular army pattern cap badge of both types. I have a 1VB & 4th VB officers bronze and 4th VB OR's and also a OR's white metal badge with lugs and another with slider. So when I saw the officers silvered badge for sale, I thought I would have to go for it even thought I have never seen a photo of it being worn or read anything about it. From what I have read the badge type with the scroll was first worn in 1900, and officers bronze badges came in circa 1903, so in the 3 year gap a silvered officers badge could have been possible.

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st VB Officers Bronze 1904- 1908 (2).jpg (110.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Cheshire 4th VB officers bronze 1904-08.jpg (118.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05359.jpg (73.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Volunteers white metal with lugs c 1900-1903-7 (2).jpg (110.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 30-12-17, 04:40 PM

Thanks George

Old 01-01-18, 09:45 AM

It is interesting to note that they wore these badges, they are the same die cast OSD cap badges worn by the regular battalions, with a silver finish applied to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
I have just bought this off Bosley's, its the first one I have come across in all my years of collecting. I always thought there would be one out there waiting for me. Cheshire Regiment VB officers silvered cap badge 1898-1908.
Old 02-01-18, 11:12 AM

This time period has been a bit of a void regarding which badge was worn by the Volunteer officers. The regular battalions wore both type of badges as shown in the 1901 dress regulations, so I would assume the Volunteers loosely followed suit wearing the same badge's, but silvered. I know the 1st VB OR's wore blackened brass cap badges. The 2nd VB officers wore PoW's the 3rd and 4th VB's officers seem to have worn the silvered badge without the scroll. The 5th VB continued wearing the bugle horn. As I said they must have worn something its trying to find out what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4th VB CR Officers forage cap badge 1888-98.jpg (118.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05270.jpg (74.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Cheshire Reg Dress regs 1901 (5).jpg (52.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-01-18, 11:14 AM

George,

Thats why I love collecting Volunteer Badges, you never know whats going to turn up because you just dont know what exists!

regards

Old 02-01-18, 05:09 PM

Smile

That's very true Simon, and also the combination of badges that they wore on different caps. I have photo's of men wearing side caps some with collar badges in and some with the cap badge, then they still had their helmets which had a different badge again. Don't you love collecting badges.