British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-12-13, 09:20 PM

Default Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry

I had the opportunity to see a proposed design for the SNIY the other day, although images are on close hold at present.

Appearance wise it's a combination of previous designs, as would be expected.

It has the oval and Saltire of the old Scottish Horse badge, with an Irish Angel Harp sans crown overlaying the Saltire. The crown sits at the top of the oval, with the bottom half of it resting on the oval. (If you were to draw a line across the top of the Saltire the bottom of the crown would touch it. It is therefore unlike the Scottish Horse design, where the crown sits proud of the oval). The wreath of juniper and bay leaves on the Scottish Horse badge is absent. The oval reads "Scottish" on one side and "North Irish" on the other.

There is a scroll at the bottom that reads "Yeomanry". This scroll rests across the bottom of the Saltire, curving back on itself to wrap around the back of the bottom arms of the Saltire, emerging then from behind the oval and ending in swallowtails.
Old 04-03-14, 02:59 PM

Default S&NIY

well, it sounds a lot better than some of the ones that have been proposed! One is a 'face on' wolfs head with two lances behind it, and a queens crown sitting atop! Grooooossssss!
They're even toying with the idea of a tartan patch behind it, and all the TRF's to have the squadrons previous capbadges woven into them!!
A sqn would have the phoenix, B sqn the NIH badge, and C sqn either the scottish horse or fife and forfar yeomanry.
There would still be the issue of designs for buttons, collar dogs, shoulder titles, stablebelt (regt and sqn), and of course, a TRF!

tim
Old 30-03-14, 09:19 PM

Tim,

I understand the design I saw has been rejected.
This was down to two reasons.

Firstly the submitted design had a Scottish crown which was deemed unacceptable for a Regiment that would not be exclusively Scottish.
Secondly the placing of a Harp atop a Saltire was deemed unacceptable.

The wolf's head with lances design is now the preferred option. Thankfully though it has been refined from the first option, as most I understood who saw it were seeing something other that a wolf's head when viewed.

I understand the TRFs with Sqn designs, which you refer to, is also still still likely and that that the colours (green and purple) for the TRF had been agreed.

I hadn't heard of the tartan option, but had heard of the discussions over what beret colour (blue, grey or green) the new Regiment should have.

Mike
Old 30-03-14, 09:59 PM

Mike
Would this now be put on hold due to the Scottish having a referendum for independence in September.
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 31-03-14, 09:08 PM

Malc,

As I understand it plans are still ongoing and the administrative posts for the new RHQ in Edinburgh are already advertised.

Mike
Old 09-04-14, 06:03 PM

The beret colour has still to be decided. The RSDG emphatically said no to the SNIY wearing the grey beret, so we will either keep the dark navy blue one, or we may be allowed to wear the RDG one!

tim
Old 09-04-14, 06:24 PM
LYPAO Boff

Have the RDG got another colour? I thought they wore the Royal Blue beret with a maroon badge backing?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 09-04-14, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

They had designs on a dark green one.
Old 09-04-14, 06:46 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
They had designs on a dark green one.
Bloody green..... appears to be the "in" colour... once the preserve of a Royal Marine (and rightly so). Royal Yeomen wearing Green caps instead of Scarlet... green is for the Light weights and the boot necks.... not the Cavalry!! (rant over)

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 09-04-14, 07:09 PM

But are these not Light Cavalry??
Old 09-04-14, 07:32 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
But are these not Light Cavalry??
Eddie ..... its more to do with my personal resentment of the Cap colour change in my unit

I know the 5DG had dark green as their colour

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 09-04-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 08:34 PM

Yes I get it! it was an ironic rhetorical question.
Old 02-07-14, 03:17 PM

Default NIH is now officially part of the SNIY!

....as of the 1st July, the North Irish Horse is no longer part of the Queens Own Yeomanry! It is now one of the Squadrons within the new regiment, the Scottish and North Irish Yeomanry!
The bi-metal capbadges are a few months down the line, but, in the interim period, we will be wearing cloth versions which have been brought over today by the QOY/SNIY RQMS, no info on the TRF's beig brought over at the same time though!

tim
Old 02-07-14, 03:47 PM

As if by magic ! The badge designs!

PL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yeo1.jpg (35.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg yeo2.jpg (74.4 KB, 147 views)
Old 02-07-14, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Bloody green..... appears to be the "in" colour... once the preserve of a Royal Marine (and rightly so). Royal Yeomen wearing Green caps instead of Scarlet... green is for the Light weights and the boot necks.... not the Cavalry!! (rant over)
Once the preserve of a Royal Marine? I don't think so - how about "Once the preserve of Commandos" (the majority of whom until 1945 were soldiers).