British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-18, 08:17 AM

Default 16th 0r 5th

On Morning web patrol found two badges the same on Castle militaria, How ever one is labelled as 5th £400 which is newly listed and on page four of a search under Lancers the same badge again ,but as 16th £275 it is actually 16th and a pouch badge in both cases. Lucky to have two as you don't see them very often. If your thinking of buying the new one listed at 5th for £400 trawl through and save yourself £125 and remember its 16th not 5th.

Mac.
Old 16-01-18, 05:30 PM

Hello Mac,
I’ve recently seen a 17th / 21st Motto that i’m Quite sure is for a beret, but it has the recessed eyebrows that I can only otherwise find on the Motto Arm badges. The vendor has the motto on hold for me. Would this immediately point to it being duff, or put it within a specific date window?
Pics to follow on Wednesday..
Old 16-01-18, 11:08 PM

Default motto

pics would be good mate. but I don't have any mottos with sunken eyebrows and don't record seeing any ,but the definitive answer would come from Griff

Mac
Old 16-01-18, 11:50 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhath View Post
Hello Mac,
I’ve recently seen a 17th / 21st Motto that i’m Quite sure is for a beret, but it has the recessed eyebrows that I can only otherwise find on the Motto Arm badges. The vendor has the motto on hold for me. Would this immediately point to it being duff, or put it within a specific date window?
Pics to follow on Wednesday..
G'day Seanhath.

Like Mac Ive never seen a cap Motto with recessed eyebrows, this is only seen on the Arm Motto / Chadd. The standard cap motto has a slider and is 40mm from crown of the skull to the centre of the Motto scroll. The beret and FS cap Motto is 30mm high (as above) and 40mm wide and has lugs, officers Mottos have "ears" and OR's don't.

The only difference should be in the very early Mottoes C1896 to 1906 when they had ears and lugs and the large collars were the same as the beret Motto above.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 17-01-18, 12:02 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac mcconnell View Post
On Morning web patrol found two badges the same on Castle militaria, How ever one is labelled as 5th £400 which is newly listed and on page four of a search under Lancers the same badge again ,but as 16th £275 it is actually 16th and a pouch badge in both cases. Lucky to have two as you don't see them very often. If your thinking of buying the new one listed at 5th for £400 trawl through and save yourself £125 and remember its 16th not 5th.

Mac.
Mac Ive just had a look and the one at 400 pounds has disappeared and the first entry on a Lancer search is for the 275 pounds one. I assume that this is a 16th Lancers sabretache ornament.

Regards

Phil.
Old 17-01-18, 09:39 AM

Default 16th/5th

yes it has disappeared, but the remaining one still posted as 5th Irish when its 16th Lancers Pouch ornament .its not a sadretache ornament, but it has come down in price ...........good to see

Mac