British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-18, 05:41 PM

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers Button - Restrike

I hope no Forum member is going to be tempted by this very expensive ebay offering - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-The-R...8AAOSwVLRaUf-e

A Gaunt restrike from the 1970s, as are both Royal Munster Fusilier buttons that this seller has for sale.
Old 07-01-18, 06:26 PM

That is very interesting, it actually appears to be well used, I wonder why.
Old 07-01-18, 08:16 PM

Hello Frank

Yes, it does look a bit worn but it is, of course, some 40+ years old now and possibly been polished several times over the years.

To be honest, I don't think the finish on some of these restrikes was all that good to start with and the finish soon rubs off - at least it has on a few I have seen although whether this is just fair wear and tear or a deliberate attempt to age (and therefore to deceive) is uncertain.

There is no doubt though that these 'Gaunt London' marked buttons are not genuine period pieces.

Roger
Old 08-01-18, 08:10 AM

I believe I have an example or two tucked away, obtained at more innocent days!

GTB
Old 08-01-18, 08:36 AM

I'm still trying to purge my 20th century KC collection of them, just a couple to go now, but I will hang on to them as a separate collection for interests sake.

Rob
Old 08-01-18, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
I'm still trying to purge my 20th century KC collection of them, just a couple to go now, but I will hang on to them as a separate collection for interests sake.

Rob
Hi Rob

Same here! I acquired a few of these buttons years ago, some without realising they were restrikes. I think I have replaced most of them by now but I held on to the restrikes for 'reference' purposes. At least they don't go back into the supply chain to reappear as 'genuine First World War' or 'genuine war-raised' 24th/27th Lancer buttons and so on!

Interesting to read the comments on badge restrikes on another recent thread. These 'Gaunt London' buttons must be some of the few genuine restrikes, produced from the original dies by the original manufacturer but after the original period of issue when the pattern used had been superseded or the unit disbanded/amalgamated!

Roger