British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-18, 02:30 PM

Default Disabled Soldiers Bureau

Hi all,

I recently acquired this badge (collar/lapel or even cap?) to the "DISABLED SOLDIERS BUREAU" in with a bag of buttons.

It is 30mm in diameter and has the look and feel of a WW1 type badge.

And the ‘Disabled Soldiers Bureau’ gets a mention in an article in the Irish Times (http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sp...-I-failed.html ), for Saturday 15th April 1916, which is writing about the Punchestown Racing festival:

Punchestown, owing to the war, was not itself on Tuesday ... .there was the gaiety and the bustle ... but the genuine spirit of Punchestown was lacking ... this could easily be seen by a glance at the Club enclosure, and by the absence of house parties usually associated with the meeting, while the fact that military officers have now something more serious to do than dispensing their usual hospitality at Punchestown also brought about a noticeable change.”
But it also said that despite the subdued atmosphere, one of the most agreeable features was the presence of several officers who had been in the firing line for months.
The paper also was happy to see a collection in aid of the Disabled Soldiers Bureau.

But other than that I can’t find anything.

Does anyone else know anything about this organisation?

Cheers Ian

Please Note : This doesn’t really fit in with my collecting areas so may well be sold on in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diabled Soldiers Bureau.jpg (80.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Diabled Soldiers Bureau BK.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-01-18, 05:47 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

The link below gives links to a badge for the Federation of Disabled Soldiers and Sailors (or Discharged) discussed on the forum. The federation was formed to support disable & maimed servicemen and was based in London. However, its primary function may be similar to the Diisabled Solders Bureau. Ie.: two distinct organisations but having a common aim of helping injured and disabled soldiers....this is a pure guess on my part and I would be very interested if someone out there can provide a fuller explanation for either organisation.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=28393
Old 05-01-18, 11:36 PM

Hi Charliedog,

Many thanks for the reply and the links, all very interesting.
I can only assume that the Disabled Soldiers Bureau was a very short lived organisation that merged with one of the larger similar organisations around at the time.
Perhaps my 'Google' search skills leave a bit to be desired - but I do find it strange that I was only able to find one reference to it on-line.
Oh well - hopefully somebody else may have some more info on the bureau.

Cheers

Ian