British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-18, 04:25 AM

Default King's Colonials, King Edward's Horse and 2nd King Edward's Horse appeal for help

Hi all,

I am co-authoring a book with a former RRF soldier based in the UK, on the history, uniforms and badges of the King's Colonials, King Edward's Horse and the unrelated 2nd King Edward's Horse.

We have the RY Smith archive of over a hundred photographs on the King's Colonials (but sadly not his King Edward's Horse archive) and thanks to the thoughtfulness of fellow member High Wood, we now have over 40 additional photographs of the King's Colonials on annual camps 1902-04.

There is much mythology regarding the badges of these distinguished regiments particularly the King's Colonials. Determining a reference set of genuine badges to compare copies with is quite an undertaking.

I am still missing a number of badges, shoulder titles and buttons and would be pleased to hear via a PM from members (with their email address) if they had spares, variants or information about them. I am happy to email a detailed wants list. I am also seeking images, sizes and weights of King's Colonials, King Edward's Horse and 2nd King Edward's Horse badges to support the research plus information, uniforms, medals, photographs, postcards and Old Comrades Association bulletins of the regiments. Full acknowledgement will be given to all contributors.

I have attached a composite image of my King's Colonials set to date with a New Zealand Squadron uniform I acquired to get you thinking.

Thanks in advance to all members who have already helped us out with images and information.

I intend to post a reference album of the badges on the Forum in due course, best regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5AC529F-E80E-4BE4-906B-8381C4FFA6CC.jpg comp.jpg (39.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg NZ tunic.jpg (23.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-01-18, 05:07 AM

This chap (Peter) is a crazy KEH collector and is a good mate so check his site out and if you contact him he may be able to contribute .

http://www.kingedwardshorse.net/

Regards Rob
Old 03-01-18, 05:24 AM

Thanks Rob,

I have been in touch with Peter N. in the past and he kindly shared a number of excellent photographs. He has all of the Old Comrades Association Bulletins which would be great to have access to.

If you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dean

Last edited by mooke07; 03-01-18 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 07:44 AM

Dean let me know the outcome
Old 03-01-18, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the call and help Rob - shall keep you posted, cheers Dean
Old 05-01-18, 12:23 AM

Smile

I have posted the image of the KC set as a flag under albums with my wants list attached to the image. Happy to acquire or swap from my extensive British collection, best regards Dean.
Old 05-01-18, 10:44 AM

Particularly keen to hear from members who have an Australasian Squadron badge with images, size and weights appreciated. Cheers Dean.
Old 05-01-18, 07:55 PM

Sounds interesting, good luck with the book Dean.
Andy
Old 05-01-18, 09:31 PM

Smile

Thanks Andy attempting to clear up several myths like the head dress badges being worn on the slouch hat in the Boer War. They never did as a unit but some members who joined them had. Just because they are Colonial doesn’t mean they served there. A mindfield of copies so hopefully a guide to spotting them hence the call for images to assist in closing out our research. Using contemporary photographs has been very illuminating, cheers Dean.
Old 28-08-18, 01:34 AM

Default King's Colonials website

Hi all,

I have created a website based on my research of the King's Colonials, King Edward's Horse and 2nd King Edward's Horse uniforms and badges for your interest.

http://www.kingscolonials.com/

Enjoy, Dean.
Old 28-08-18, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

I have created a website based on my research of the King's Colonials, King Edward's Horse and 2nd King Edward's Horse uniforms and badges for your interest.

Enjoy, Dean.
Hello Dean,

Congratulations on your marvelous website. I'm very impressed with your attention to detail.

Regards, Tinto
Old 28-08-18, 07:38 AM

Yes, lovely site, I'll put aside some time at a desk top to work my way through that.
Old 28-08-18, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

Enjoy, Dean.
Great site and the thanks to PN is well founded and I also am glad to be of assistance to get PN to be not so stubborn with his info .

Cheers Rob
Old 28-08-18, 08:50 AM

Hi and thanks to all for the kind comments - Rob I am most indebted for your guidance and support with PN. I hope more information comes out, cheers Dean
Old 28-08-18, 03:33 PM

Thank you for the link.

Although I don't collect to the Kings Colonials I found the website both informative and interesting. Constructed proficiently and well worth a visit.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith

Tags
2nd king edward's horse, king edward's horse, king's colonials