British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-17, 08:47 PM

Default Regiment Identification

Hi, I would be very grateful if somebody could help me identify the regiments of these men. Thanks you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1511270812516.jpg (32.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1511270800668.jpg (41.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 27-11-17, 01:50 PM

Hi, this post seems to have people puzzled. Any help with these pictures would be appreciated. Kind regards.

Last edited by TWOSE98; 28-11-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 27-11-17, 05:16 PM

The problem I see with the left hand photo is that they appear to be wearing buttons in place of cap badges, something that was done by new recruits in the Great War due to temporary shortages of cap badges. However, the photo dates from c1920 or later as one man is wearing the ribbons of the War Medal and the Victory Medal. The only other possibility I can think of is that they are wearing the small post-1915 14th Hussars cap badges but I think that's unlikely.
Old 27-11-17, 05:27 PM

The blokes in the left hand photo appear to be members of the British North Russia Relief Force.
Old 28-11-17, 01:08 PM

Hi. Thanks for the helpful replies. I agree they do look like Button's and not regimental badges, I can't find a similar badge in my reference book. I noticed the Russian Relief Star interesting picture.

Does anybody have any ideas for the regiment for the chap on the Right?

Kind regards
Peter
Old 28-11-17, 03:51 PM

I would say that they are wearing the temporary badge (made from a button), as worn by Kitcheners Volunteers.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=108114
Old 29-11-17, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
The blokes in the left hand photo appear to be members of the British North Russia Relief Force.
Agreed. A speculation is that they could be members of the Slavo-British Legion?

They can't be Kitchener Volunteers as one of them has the ribbons of the British War Medal and Victory Medal, putting the picture's date as mid-1919 earliest.

Last edited by Staffsyeoman; 29-11-17 at 08:51 AM.
Old 29-11-17, 12:49 PM

The soldier on the right is wearing a 3 tier shoulder title, but I can not make it out.

Marc
Old 29-11-17, 03:24 PM

Agreed , Russia force white star on blue backing. the other photo straight away my first thought brass :

DUKE
OF
WELLINGTONS

Westlake book plate 68 / badge 1064

This would tie in with the Bradford photographer studio.

Last edited by NEMO; 29-11-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 29-11-17, 05:16 PM

Possible.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:34 PM.
Old 29-11-17, 07:03 PM

Logical, but the Dukes did not serve in Russia. At least, as a battalion.

2/10th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Royal Scots (Territorial Force) as infantry - Archangel
45th and 46th (Service) Battalions, The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) - Archangel
17th (Service) Battalion (1st City), The King's (Liverpool) Regiment - Archangel
6th (Service) Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment) - Archangel
The East Surrey Regiment - Murmansk
11th (Service) Battalion (1st South Down), The Royal Sussex Regiment - Murmansk
1/9th (Cyclist) Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment as infantry- Siberia The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry - Archangel
25th (Garrison) Battalion, The Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment) - Siberia [and other elements in Murmansk?]
2/7th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry (Territorial Infantry) - Archangel The Highland Light Infantry - Murmansk and Archangel.
(Cited from: http://www.militarian.com/threads/br...918-1919.7652/)
Old 29-11-17, 07:49 PM

HI , good point but are the two pictures connected ? i was presuming they are two separate random pics ?
Old 30-11-17, 04:10 PM

My thanks for all the interesting replies, it is much appreciated.

The chap sitting in the chair I am told my have the ribbon for the MM as does the man in the single phone and could be the same man, any thoughts? Also, the photo on the right seems to have been taken in Hereford from the mark or am I reading that wrong?

The shoulder badge has been mentioned as possibly the DCLI or the Herefordshire LI. I am really stumped by these two pictures.

The only thing I am sure of is the Russian Relief Star.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 30-11-17, 04:21 PM

Sorry for my ignorance. But the shoulder badge on the chap in the right hand picture has a piece coming down like the handle of a spade. Is this a clasp that was used to fix it to a cap or is it part of the design. It is just in my reference books the clasp piece seem to be the part that fixes the badge to the cap and isn't part of the regimental badge. Any thoughts appreciated.

Peter
Old 30-11-17, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOSE98 View Post
My thanks for all the interesting replies, it is much appreciated.

The chap sitting in the chair I am told my have the ribbon for the MM as does the man in the single phone and could be the same man, any thoughts? Also, the photo on the right seems to have been taken in Hereford from the mark or am I reading that wrong?

The shoulder badge has been mentioned as possibly the DCLI or the Herefordshire LI. I am really stumped by these two pictures.

The only thing I am sure of is the Russian Relief Star.

Thanks for all your help.
Definitely not the MM. The medal ribbons in both photos are those of the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Difficult to tell if it's the same man in both photos or not.