British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-16, 03:57 PM

Default Civil Nuclear Constabulary

For those who are interested

I just managed to acquire these two badges. Cap badge and complete helmet for the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

The cap badges, as far as I am aware, are only worn for graduation parades before being handed back in. The helmet badges and helmets are now only held by longer serving members of the force but not worn or issued. Officers now wear baseball caps.

Both badges are/were worn by all ranks.

An expensive set but I have been years in the searching for them. Images are the sellers.

Phil
Old 23-04-16, 01:00 AM

Thank you for the information as I was not aware of the current usage. Those are some very nice additions.

- Michael
Old 23-04-16, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
For those who are interested

I just managed to acquire these two badges. Cap badge and complete helmet for the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

The cap badges, as far as I am aware, are only worn for graduation parades before being handed back in. The helmet badges and helmets are now only held by longer serving members of the force but not worn or issued. Officers now wear baseball caps.

Both badges are/were worn by all ranks.

An expensive set but I have been years in the searching for them. Images are the sellers.

Phil
Well done, Phil.

I know from our chats that these badges are devilishly difficult to source. Well done for acquiring them.
Old 24-04-16, 04:07 PM

Well done mate

They are rather attractive badges, thanks for showing them.

Andy
Old 24-04-16, 04:13 PM

Hi Phil,

Thanks for sharing these. Not something I can recall being aware of prior. Very interesting indeed and it appears a great find, well done!

Cheerio, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 24-04-16, 10:38 PM

Thank you Gentlemen
Old 04-05-16, 11:22 AM

I met one once. He was saying that they are the only Police Force to possess and regularly deploy with HEAVY machine guns. Apparently bad people want what they protect.

IanH
Old 04-05-16, 12:04 PM

Nice one mate
Jez

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 04-05-16, 02:14 PM

Heavy machine guns and police are not something i would usually put together in an image, unless theyve seized them.

Cheers Jerry
Old 04-05-16, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
I met one once. He was saying that they are the only Police Force to possess and regularly deploy with HEAVY machine guns. Apparently bad people want what they protect.

IanH
Did he also tell you that they are specifically instructed not to exercise any police powers unless they have absolutely no alternative? They "detain" or "delay" on the rare occasion that they wish to have someone dealt with until the arrival of the County Police. They are the only "police force" in the UK commanded by a Chief Constable who was previously employed by the MoD as a soldier and with no previous police experience. Nice badges but an otherwise dubiously termed "police force".

Dave.
Old 04-05-16, 03:43 PM

May aswell use MPGS and save some money then!!
Old 04-05-16, 09:06 PM

Quote:
May aswell use MPGS and save some money then!!
A well made point Phil!

Dave.
Old 05-05-16, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Heavy machine guns and police are not something i would usually put together in an image, unless theyve seized them.

Cheers Jerry
They use weapons even bigger than that! When I was serving in the Royal Navy at HMS Cambridge, the RN School of Gunnery & Naval Military Training at Wembury near Plymouth, the then UK Atomic Energy Authority Constabulary used to send their people to us to do an Anti Piracy course that included using 7.62 mm General Purpose Machine Guns and 30mm Orlikon cannons. These Constables were from the section designated to protect the nuclear shipments from Barrow to Japan on the Pacific Nuclear Transport (PNTL) vessels operated at that time by James Fisher & Sons Ltd. The present day Civil Nuclear Constabulary still have a marine section that provide seagoing crews on the armed nuclear transport vessels of the PNTL fleet that are now operated by Serco.

like the MoD Plod, they take themselves very very seriously, see themselves as a para military federal police force and like the MoD Plod, are very sensitive to any suggestion that they are not "real" policemen.

Regards

Tony
Old 05-05-16, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianh67military View Post
... regularly deploy with HEAVY machine guns.
In my experience ALL machine guns are heavy - but then I was in the Royal Air Force
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.