British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-14, 09:57 PM

Default Any ideas on the identity of this cap badge

Hi,

I am researching my late Grandfather's military history.

I know the following:

He enlisted in a North Staffordshire Regiment territorial formation in January 1940.
Shortly after he was transferred to the South Staffordshire Regiment within which he trained in the UK from 1940 to June 1944.
In June 1944 he sailed to Normandy and fought as part of the 59th (Staffordshire) Division (5th Battalion South Staffs).
Due to the heavy casualties sustained by the Allied forces in the Normandy campaign he was transferred to the Royal Scots Fusiliers (11th Battalion) with which he saw action in France, Belgium and Holland throughout the remainder of 1944 until wounds received in Nijmegen in April 1945 ended his active service.
Thereafter, he returned to Europe as part of the B.L.A. (D.P.A.C.S.) where he was involved in the liberation of Belsen camp and its subsequent administration in the months that followed.

He ended the war as a lance corporal.

I have the following photograph of his section(?) in which he has no stripe. Now I am familiar with the insignia of both Staffordshire regiments as well as the R.S.F. However, the cap badges worn in this photograph I cannot determine.

My Grandfather is seated first from the right in the second row.

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks,

Adrian
(Grandson of James Kitchener Heath No. 5051929)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_NEW.jpg (51.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Battalionclose up_edited-1.jpg (40.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 22-10-14, 11:28 PM

I think South Staffs. Just not come out too well on film for some reason. Regards, Paul.-Correction-perhaps North Staffs. Perhaps not long after joining up. Looks early war from uniform-lack of webbing- corporal's service dress etc.

Last edited by wardog; 22-10-14 at 11:38 PM.
Old 23-10-14, 12:01 AM

Perhaps South Staffords with the Holland backing?

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 23-10-14, 02:11 AM

Your grandfathers number confirms that he was in the North Staffs when he first joined the army, as it is from their "block".
Old 23-10-14, 05:53 AM

Look like North Staffs to me, I think I can make out the Prince of Wales plumes
Old 23-10-14, 06:57 AM

As someone who trained in a mixed squad of North and South Staffords I would say North.
Old 23-10-14, 05:55 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I think this is clear now, I believe that this is a North Staffs cap badge. The outline of the top of the badge is indeed consistent with the knot topped by the plume of feathers. That coupled with the comments about uniform being representative of the very early years to me makes the id beyond doubt.

Upon embodiment he travelled to Lichfield I.T.C. In January 1940. So, I believe that this is the first photograph of my Grandfather in uniform, possibly, although not necessarily, taken in Lichfield.

Thanks again.

Adrian.
Old 24-10-14, 08:43 AM

Many thanks to all. It is clear to me now, a direct comparison of the outline in the photo and the physical North Staffs badge, shows the knot and the plume I believe.

In summary, I think that this is the first photo of my Grandfather in uniform, sometime between January and June 1940, when he was transferred to the South Staffs. It could have been taken at Lichfield I.T.C.

Adrian.
Old 24-10-14, 08:57 AM
LYPAO Boff

Its a POWFs at the top of the badge...

Last edited by GriffMJ; 24-10-14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 24-10-14, 09:38 AM

Well done Griff. My poor old abused specs couldn't figure that one out.