British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-10-14, 12:06 PM

Default Brigadier Goode, Sudan Defence Force, and Where are they now?

Hello,

Like many collectors I often muse upon things I could/should have bought and where are they now?

One item in particular was a vehicle pennant and badges that belonged to Brigadier Goode of the Sudan Defence Force.

Members on this forum will know my interest in the Long Range Desert Group, indeed I have collected to the unit for over 50 years.

As a young collector I would visit Portabello Road market most Saturdays. One of the Militaria sellers was Jim Goode often referred to as"The Brigadier". After becoming a regular to his stall I chatted to Jim about a book I was reading, Lloyd Owen's "Providence Their Guide". Jim smiled and said"I remember them, yes I helped out their chaps when we were laying siege to Jalo...". When I returned to my book there it was, the LRDG a patrol was shot up and several survivors made their way by foot to Jalo and were re supplied by a helpful officer of the SDF. I tried to get Jim back on the subject but somehow we never discussed the incident again.

Jim died many years ago and items pertaining to his service in the SDF were sold in auction, Wallis and Wallis I think, I found out about the sale after the event so not able to bid. I have often wondered where they are now and if the owner knows the LRDG tale...

Keith

Always interested in anything LRDG, ILRS a or PPA...
Old 21-10-14, 07:02 PM

I've always held the Sudan Defence Force in very high regard indeed, they had some superb badges, a firm favourite would have to be the silver officer's helmet badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020420.jpg (55.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 21-10-14, 07:45 PM

Over the weekend I was looking at a photograph of some SDF graves I took in the CWGC cemetery at Keren, Eritrea, in April 2009.

Hopefully members will find it of interest.
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 22-10-14, 04:34 PM

You might find this link useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_Defence_Force
Old 20-11-16, 05:32 PM

It is a couple of years since I made this post and I just wondered if anything from Brigadier Goode SDF has surfaced since...

Thank you, Keith