British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-14, 07:06 PM

Default Colonial India Book?

Hi Chaps,

I have a passing interest in badges from Colonial India (British India) and actually have a few examples.

Can I ask the more experienced Indian badge collectors if there is a book that is dedicated to Colonial Indian badges specifically ?

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 09-10-14, 12:28 AM

You might look for a copy of Military Badges of The British Empire 1914-18 by Cox. Probably not in print, but Abeboooks or someone similar might have one. It has a lot of pages of Indian badges for the period of WWI. Of course they all change in 1922, but its a start. I have some scans of pages of post '22 badges I can send you if you want to PM me. Or you can find them here: http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1753...ian-regiments/

There is one recent publication, but it sells for L100 if there are any copies available and, to be honest, the authors name escapes me at the moment. he's ex IA, living in Scandanavia now - other members will know who I mean.

Last edited by peter monahan; 09-10-14 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 07:24 AM

Sounds like ASHOK NATH.
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter monahan View Post
You might look for a copy of Military Badges of The British Empire 1914-18 by Cox. Probably not in print, but Abeboooks or someone similar might have one. It has a lot of pages of Indian badges for the period of WWI. Of course they all change in 1922, but its a start. I have some scans of pages of post '22 badges I can send you if you want to PM me. Or you can find them here: http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1753...ian-regiments/

There is one recent publication, but it sells for L100 if there are any copies available and, to be honest, the authors name escapes me at the moment. he's ex IA, living in Scandanavia now - other members will know who I mean.
Old 09-10-14, 09:36 AM

Hi Roy,
Sons Of John Company The Indian & Pakistan Armies 1903 -1991 by John Gaylor and published by Spellmount Ltd covers the history of all the regiments as well as line drawings of their badges.It was published in 1992 but I'm sure there must be a copy out there somewhere.
Hwyl Bantam
Old 09-10-14, 09:50 AM

Hi Roy,
Just took a quick look plenty of good used copies on Amazon and at reasonable prices.
Hwyl,
Bantam
Old 09-10-14, 09:12 PM

Thanks so much Gents,

Lots of great information, now to get looking!

Cheers, Roy.

Old 12-10-14, 05:53 PM

Thank you, Quicksilver! Ashok Nath is the man. A former IA Armoured Corps officer, he has written what is touted as the definitive books on IA badges, but at a very hefty price. I had forgotten Sons of John Company - also a fine volume and not too hard to find on ebay or Abebooks.

Peter
Old 23-10-14, 11:32 PM

Hi Gents,

Just an update and my thanks, as I just had arrive 'Sons Of John Company The Indian & Pakistan Armies 1903 -1991 by John Gaylor', so very much looking forward to getting stuck into it. A near perfect copy for just a few dollars too, can't be bad.

Many thanks indeed, cheers, Roy.

Old 29-10-14, 08:15 PM

Hi Chaps,

Following up on my previous post to this- I'm very much enjoying John Gaylor's book and want to thank all for recommending it. It has a great deal of interesting information and really highlights not only how complicated some of the history around these units is but also details how fascinating this topic can be.

This book mostly deals with the twentieth century but early on the author makes reference to 'India's Army' by Donovan, which by all accounts is a similar study all be it from an earlier perspective. A book I'm certainly considering trying to track down but wanted to know if anyone has a copy and what their thoughts are?

Cheers, Roy.