British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-13, 08:53 PM

Default Victorian cap badges?

Evening Gents.

I'm putting together a display box of Great-Great Uncles medals for my Dad and wondering what I've let myself in for.

I've spent the last week trying to figure out what Regiments where and when and now I'm confused again. Did these Regiments even wear 'cap-badges' per se at those times?

10th Hussars c.1854
8th Hussars c. 1857
19th Hussars c. 1862

Could anyone be kind enough to point me towards what I should be looking for before I go shopping?

Cheers!
Old 09-10-13, 06:43 AM

Hello I will be seeing a very knowledgeable cavalry chap D.Pickup on Sunday and will enquire for you if no one else answers your question.
Regards
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 09-10-13, 07:24 AM

Default Victorian Capbadges

Absolutely brilliant, thanks a lot!
Old 09-10-13, 05:12 PM

Most cap badges as such came into use in the late 1890s I think. There would have been other forms of head dress insignia before that but outside of my price range and so I cannot afford to be interested in them! Better informed members will let you know what to look for. Good luck-Regards, Paul. PS as Hussars used the busby- regiment was indicated by the colours of the plume or busby bag in full dress. Info. from Head-dress Badges of the British Army Vol. 1. Kipling and King.

Last edited by wardog; 09-10-13 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 09:22 PM

Hello JustDave?

The simple answer is no. I'm fairly sure all the cap badges to the regiments you have listed were sealed c.1898 and wear started from around then.

In the period 1854-1862 I understand all of the regiments you mention were Hussars as you say, and wore the Busby on which no insignia was worn. However, when serving in India they wore a 'White Helmet' as opposed to a Busby and there were certain Puggaree badges authorised. I can't actually advise you what to go shopping for but what ever it is from this period,
I hope you have an understanding bank manager

Hope this helps
Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdave View Post
Evening Gents.

I'm putting together a display box of Great-Great Uncles medals for my Dad and wondering what I've let myself in for.

I've spent the last week trying to figure out what Regiments where and when and now I'm confused again. Did these Regiments even wear 'cap-badges' per se at those times?

10th Hussars c.1854
8th Hussars c. 1857
19th Hussars c. 1862

Could anyone be kind enough to point me towards what I should be looking for before I go shopping?

Cheers!
Old 10-10-13, 06:53 AM

Did Hussars at one point wear some form of shako either before the busby or as well.
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 10-10-13, 07:25 AM

Hi Malcolm

I think you will find that the Shako was worn by most, if not all Light Dragoon Regiments before they were converted to Hussars and then wore the Busby.
There was a transition period when there were both LD & Hussars regiments in existence but according to K&K by 1861 they were all apparently Hussars.

Rob
QUOTE=Malcolm Davey;232909]Did Hussars at one point wear some form of shako either before the busby or as well.
Malc[/QUOTE]
Old 10-10-13, 09:54 AM

Hello,
I think you will find yourself looking for head dress rather than badges for this period, the words rare and expensive spring to mind, unlike the later cap badges!
Hope you have a well stocked wallet!
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdave View Post
Evening Gents.

10th Hussars c.1854
8th Hussars c. 1857
19th Hussars c. 1862

Cheers!
Old 10-10-13, 07:54 PM

I am wondering if pictures/illustrations of Hussars of the period might be an idea for display- or perhaps of an engagement or battle of the period. What do the medals relate to? Were not the 10th at the Crimea? Regards, Paul.
Old 10-10-13, 08:02 PM

I think that modern pictures would be rather cheaper than original head dress and/or medals, but, not as nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I am wondering if pictures/illustrations of Hussars of the period might be an idea for display- or perhaps of an engagement or battle of the period. What do the medals relate to? Were not the 10th at the Crimea? Regards, Paul.