British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-10, 06:38 AM

Hi, I don't think it's different, it just came from an Arab who's father was in the PP. I'll try to find it before I go. By the way, anyone interested in Uzbeki' bits, I'll be out there shortly. Mike
Old 19-09-10, 06:14 PM

Default Palestine Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, these are some of the insignia of a guy in the armoured car section. Somewhere I've got a belt but that came from a guy in the arab section. Mike
Thanks for showing these PP badges, with these and others shown they give me a target to aspire to, John.
Old 20-09-10, 06:16 PM

Hi, details of crossed rifles and belt. The background is a very dark navy blue and the belt clasp seems to have some sort of silver wash, I'm pretty sure it's not silver paint. Mike PS the markings on the belt are 9847 and H&O 37
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palastine police malay bat 002.jpg (63.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg palastine police malay bat 003.jpg (61.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg palastine police malay bat 006.jpg (41.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg palastine police malay bat 007.jpg (38.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg palastine police malay bat 008.jpg (63.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 22-09-10, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
And if you'd like to update your collection here's the opportunity of a lifetime. The unvoided cap badge is a bit rare:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXTRA-RARE-Pal...item2a0a44d514
It's back unsold and the price has gone up! Now £1.8K
Old 22-09-10, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
the markings on the belt are 9847

will that be the man's service number?

I've had this guy's Palestine medal around here for ages, (keep meaning to sell it) his is a 4 digit number: 2021

poor copy photo but looks like separate numerals worn on a bit of backing on the right breast - but what is the object on his left in the same position??

Last edited by Mike; 22-09-10 at 04:12 PM. Reason: accidentally spilt my box of apostrophes ' ' '' '
Old 22-09-10, 04:07 PM

It's his number in Arabic numerals on a matching black leather background. To clarify my earlier post on the subject, although Arabic is read from the right numerals are read from the left. A two looks like a 2 lying on its back, a zero is a dot and one is a stylish 1.
Old 22-09-10, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
It's his number in Arabic numerals on a matching black leather background. To clarify my earlier post on the subject, although Arabic is read from the right numerals are read from the left. A two looks like a 2 lying on its back, a zero is a dot and one is a stylish 1.

Thanks Eddie, I should have guessed. Wonder if anyone has one of these Arabic ID numbers on its backing to show us?

Would be real nice to have these with a mans insignia and medals.
Old 21-10-10, 05:19 PM

Here we are, Set 3275 as mounted and some numbers - the V is either seven or eight depending on which way up it is so 210681/1980431
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP Nos set.jpg (51.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PP nos.jpg (85.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 28-04-11, 11:09 PM

Default Varinats of Cap Badges ?

While sorting through some odds and ends in my miscellaneous inventory I came across the below attached Palestine Police badges, all of which appear to be white-metal variants of the force cap badge.

1). Top Badge: Die-struck white metal cap badge. Central band has 3 x double sided sprays of laurel leaves, with in centre central the letter 'P.P.' entwined. Reverse has 2 x copper lugs 'North' & 'South' , and makers marks 'Dowler, Birmingham' on 2 x lines

2). Bottom Right Badge: A well-polished die-struck white metal cap badge. Central band has only 1 x double sided spray of laurel leaves on top and below the legend 'Palestine Police', the centre being the letters 'P.P.' entwined - note the letters are only joined to the central band in 3 places. Reverse has replacement slide, but shows remains of 2 x copper lug mounts 'East' & 'West'. There are no makers marks.

3). Bottom Left Badge: A die-struck white metal cap badge. Central band has only 1 x double sided spray of laurel leaves on top and below the legend 'Palestine Police', in centre the letters 'P.P.' entwined - note the letters are joined to the central band in 6 places. Reverse has 2 x copper lugs 'East' & 'West'. There are no makers marks.

Questions:

a). Is the top badge a style that was only worn by gazetted officers, i.e. Inspectors and above?. Or, is it an earlier variant to the others ?

b). Are the bottom two badges the 'Standard' issue worn by Constables, Corporals and Sergeants? And, if so, are they possibly from different makers?

In anticipation.

Yours aye,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palestine Police Badges III.jpg (50.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Palestine Police Variants II.jpg (42.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Palestine Police Officer I.jpg (48.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 29-04-11, 07:44 AM

Hi

My understanding is that the triple spray version is a sergeants' arm badge.

eddie
Old 29-04-11, 09:28 AM

Default Sergeants Arm Badge

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your reply.

I was curious about finding out that the 'Triple Spray' badge might be a Sergeants arm badge.

Question: Were these triple-sprayed arm badges worn on 'Blue Patrols', or some other form of uniform, and where exactly where they worn / positioned.

I am attaching a photograph of a British Contable in 'Blue Patrols', to complement the other illustration in this thread showing another British Constable in a differnt dress of uniform.

Yours aye,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fisher Photograph.jpg (31.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 29-04-11, 12:08 PM

Worn above the chevrons but whether on one or both arms or in what orders of dress I am not sure.

Eddie
Old 29-04-11, 07:03 PM

Default Arm Badges

Eddie,

Thanks for that - I had an idea it might be located central above the chevrons (presumably the chevrosn also being in white metal?).

I will now have a look through some other obscure illustrated references I have that might have photyos of European Sergeants in other Colonial Police Forces of the 1930-S-1940's to see if any of them had similar arm accountrements.

Yours aye,
Mark
Old 29-04-11, 07:52 PM

Default Palestine Police

This is interesting stuff. I have a friend that was in the Royal Navy during the Second World War, then joined the Palestine Police and then came to Canada in 1950 and joined the RCMP. He will be 86 in Sept and has his memorabilia from his time in the PP. He is presently doing a cruise through the Panama Canal and will be back on May 18th. He is still sharp as a tack and if you have any questions regarding the PP that you want answered let me know and I will run them by him.

Jack
Old 30-04-11, 10:36 AM

Default Palestine Policemen who served in period circa 1945-48

Jack,

Thanks for your interesting post.

After he gets back form his cruise and if you get the time, can you ask your friend and former member of the Palestine Police what section / division of the Police he belonged to during his service?

Also, and if he is willing, can you run past him the below following numbers/names of former comrades that I know were either serving on or after 1945, and which he might therefore remember / recall from the time of his service;

- 1611 British Contable T.H. Ballentine (served 1938-1948)
- 2790 British Contable J.H. Pirie (served 1939-1946, believed to be Scottish)
- 3192 British Contable Herbert Wilson (from Middlesborough)
- 131 British Constable W.H. Clark (left circa 1945 & former member of the Port & Marine section)
- 676 British Contable J.R.G. Travers (served 1945-1948)
- 4360 British Constable Thomas C. Roberts (served 1947-48, and believed to be from Dublin)

I would be especially interested to learn or receive confirmation of;

- Country and places of origin of the constables
- Divisions they may have served in
- Any anecdotes

In advance thanks.

Yours aye,
Mark