British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-11-16, 08:46 AM

Default help to ID some australian colour patches

hi all
again asking for assistance. there probably in keith's book but there all looking the same at the moment
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknow.jpg (82.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg unknown 3.jpg (73.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 01-12-16, 07:42 AM

Hi bc,

Photo 1, top: 1. RAA 1 Aust Corps (top one is WA manufacture) 1939-1946; 2. see a previous thread where I replied to Slick Mick's question on the same colour patch - fake. Do you have a close-up photo of the rear? 3. RAA 2 Aust Corps 1942-1946.
Centre row: 1. HQ 3 Aust Corps, CMF personnel; 2. HQ 3 Aust Corps, AIF personnel; 3. HQ 3 Aust Corps, unfinished patch for AIF personnel (grey background not added).
Bottom: 1. no idea, look nice and are possibly early but for no unit that I am aware of. Colours are RAE but AASL wore a different patch. Be aware however that examples exist of a white V on dark blue rectangle background too.
2. WA manufactured patch, probably a colour error for 5 Aust Remount Sqn.

Photo 2, top: 1, probably just a colour variation for 2/24 Aust Inf Bn; 2. HQ 26 Aust Inf Bde. Sorry, I f-d up in my proof reading and the HQ 26 Aust Inf Bde appears in green in my colour plates - don't know what happened there but I didn't pick it up 'til after the book was printed, as usual ;
Bottom, no idea.

Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 02-12-16 at 10:20 AM. Reason: error
Old 02-12-16, 01:59 AM

hi keith
thanks for your help.
i have attached a pic of the rear of both the artillery (fake) and the unknown RAE??
the so called fake came from john burridge. he has about 10 different arty patches from memory and he has them in quantity. from memory he said they were picked up many years ago when a WA manufacturer closed down.
cheers
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (54.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-12-16, 07:52 AM

Hi bc,

Note the different thread lengths between the original red patch sewn on the grey, and the blue sewn onto both of them.

Some details in this link -

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...009#post379009

Yes, bought quite a few patches from that batch off John B in 1992, same as the ones that came out of the Stan and May Urquhart (?) collection auctioned off in 1975. In fact it was John B who gave me a copy of the auction flyer. Didn't see this one then, but in the last three months I've seen three - two sold on ebay to slick mick's mate, and yours.

Check the RAA 1 Aust Corps patch in the batch you posted above for construction details, then look to see if you have an RAA 1 Aust Armd Div patch in the same felt, etc, and compare the construction and stitching.

I'm not suggesting in any way that John has run these up, know him too well for that, but these were not an authorised or issued patch as you can see from the attached paperwork in the link.

Keith
Old 02-12-16, 08:57 AM

hi kieth
i can see exactly what your saying regarding the thread lengths.
how unusual.
i just spoke to another mate of mine who traded about 100 patches with David Burridge a few months back. he got 10 different patches by 10 of each including this item, all in unissued condition.
good to know and really grateful for your input
bc