British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-12-16, 10:34 AM

Default RAF? SAAF? Radio Operator??

Hi, can anyone help me confirm who used this badge please. Was it RAF, did the SAAF use it? One of my fellow collectors in South Africa believes that the Rhodesian Police (BSAP) used this during WWII but I disagree, I believe they used crossed flags as they had done in the 1930s. Any guidance / confirmation would be great please.
Thanks Wayne

[

Last edited by guBulawayo; 04-12-16 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 03:33 PM
Banned

The badge is a 'Fist and Sparks' sleeve badge as worn by RAF, RCAF, RAAF, and RNZAF wireless operators, both ground and air. The badge was normally in cloth - either light blue on dark or red on tan (although the RAAF used a bronze metal version on both summer and winter dress). This is a sand cast version, of which I have several. I cant remember off the top of my head if the SAAF wore it although I do have Southern African (either SA or Rhodesian) made cloth versions, which were certainly used by all of the above who trained out there. I'd think this was probably a locally made example worn by an RAF man or woman.

Last edited by SAS1; 04-12-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 04:07 PM

Lets not forget the British and Commonwealth armies who also wore it for the trade of Operators, fire control; Operators, keyboard and line; Operators wireless and keyboard all in the Royal Corps of Signals.
Also by Infantry signallers with the above skills.

Cloth badges are in a variety of colours denoting which category but there is no reason all couldnt have worn this metal badge.

I certainly have included one in my collection.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 04-12-16, 04:50 PM

Thanks SAS1 and manchesters