British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-16, 02:50 PM

Default Information SWEETHEART

Hello everyone,

Looking at the collection sites, I came across the sweethearts.

I find it simply beautiful, very well finished, colored for certain and in precious materials. (gold and silver)

I read that the soldiers offered them to their love but also to members of their families.
Is that still the case?

I also read that on their return the soldiers carried them. Is it true?

How do I know if it's not a copy or an original ww2?

Do you know who made them?

Thank you for your help.

cordially
Gael
Old 28-11-16, 03:34 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

This might help you for part of your question:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/first-...d-lucky-charms
Old 28-11-16, 04:33 PM

Hello Gael

Military sweetheart badges have been popular for years but started to become really popular during late Victorian times when it became possible to produce such badges quite cheaply.

They became very popular during the First World War and this continued to a lesser extent through to the Second World War, declining in popularity as the war came to an end. They can still be found today but are less popular and probably more expensive, usually using precious metals and stones.

Traditionally they were bought by a soldier for his sweetheart, wife, girlfriend, even mother. However, many were bought and worn by the sweetheart etc just to show support for their soldier boyfriend, son or whatever. I don't know that the sweethearts were worn by the returning soldiers. Some may have done but many just wore 'Old Comrades' badges which are slightly different.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between First World War and Second World War sweetheart badges but that's where a knowledge of military badges is useful because this can help date sweethearts. Styles did differ but again it can be difficult to tell which is which.

There are many, many makers of sweetheart brooches. A few may have been made by the soldiers themselves, but the vast majority were mass produced commercially.

If you follow Charliedog's link in the post above you will find some recommended books. The best ones to start off with are those by Pamela Caunt - "Military Sweethearts", volumes I, II and III.

Regards
Roger
Old 28-11-16, 05:20 PM

Hello and thank you both for your messages. Very accurate and complete. What is the comrades badge? I do not know at all. Who was distributing them?
Old 28-11-16, 05:44 PM

Very briefly, 'Old Comrades Associations' were set up to help former soldiers stay in touch with each other, to look after their welfare and so on.

Most Regiments and Corps have their own 'Old Comrades Association' and many have their own unique lapel badge.

Another badge collecting area for you, quite different from 'sweetheart badges'!

Roger
Old 04-12-16, 12:00 PM

My latest 'Bays Sweetheart Victorian Sweetheart brooch.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BayVic Brooch.jpg (12.8 KB, 14 views)