British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-11, 06:26 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Default Royal Engineers Museum Chatham

I had the good fortune to visit the above named establishment last Friday with my son and his Grandfather.
The museum is being updated at the moment. However there is much to see and do, even with a semi-truculant, 5 year old. There are some excellent uniforms including those of the Electrical Engineers (cloth embroidered EE on shoulder straps) and a drum to the band of the wireless section. There are two very good frames of badges and helmet plates. None had a 'M' on them though. Next time I will hopefully have a more ameanable 5 year old with me and I can ask to chat to some-one about badges.
The best item I saw, badge wise, was a tunic to the Chester Railway Engineers with a pair of facing collar badges.
Matti
Old 29-08-11, 06:42 PM

Matt, please tell me: Is the museum at the old Kitchener Barracks in Chatham, just across trhe road from where the old Royal Marines Depot used to be.
Regards,
John
Old 29-08-11, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Matt, please tell me: Is the museum at the old Kitchener Barracks in Chatham, just across trhe road from where the old Royal Marines Depot used to be.
Regards,
John
It is at the back of Brompron Bks in the old Ravelin building. It is well signposted and plenty of parking. Here are a couple of pictures of equipment on static displey in the grounds

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 29-08-11, 07:17 PM
Mr. Jackanory

John,
That is a jolly good question and one that I cannot answer, my son's Grandfather directed me there through the streets of Gillingham. best to search them out on the net.
Yours
Matti
Old 29-08-11, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the answers to my question. It was from the nostalgia of a long ago memory that I asked - my attending the childrens party given by the Royal Engineers at Kitchener Barracks, chatham, Christmas 1938.....no that is not a typing error I did say 1938. The Sappers were kind enough to invite the kids of Royal Marines families, and that is how I got in. It was such a good party I remember it still.
Regards,
John
Old 29-08-11, 08:54 PM

There is a Kitchener Barracks still standing in Chatham and occupied by the Royal Engineers. It is adjacent to Fort Amherst on the Dock Road from the town centre to Brompton Barracks (RSME) and the Dockyard. It consists of a long "Sandhurst Accommodation Block" built in the 1930s I believe.
Tim
Old 29-08-11, 09:04 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Christmas 1938! That is a while ago John. To remember a party that long ago says that it must have been a pleasant one!
Matti
Old 30-08-11, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Christmas 1938! That is a while ago John. To remember a party that long ago says that it must have been a pleasant one!
Matti
Matt, I was six years of age and perhaps it is because it is the first party I remember clearly, but the RE's were magnificent with us barrack rats, and put on a party well worth remembering.

Regards,

John
Old 30-08-11, 06:35 AM

Just a small point but the Cheshire ( Railway ) Engineer Volunteers were based in Crewe not Chester and their headquaters ( of which only parts of the external walls still remain ) was about a mile and a half from where I am writing this .

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 30-08-11, 02:45 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Peter,
Thank you for correcting me on that. Yes, I meant Cheshire, time to blame small version of me for distracting me on that one. Fab tunic though and well worth a visit for that item alone.
Matti
Old 30-08-11, 03:07 PM

Matti,

There was a tunic to the unit on display at the Crewe Heritage Centre sadly missing the collar badges.

The Heritage Centre was opened years ago by the Queen but has gone downhill since,they even sold part of the car park to the adjoining supermarket, I dont even know if the tunic is still on display.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-09-17, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
...was a tunic to the Chester Railway Engineers with a pair of facing collar badges.
Matti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Matti,

There was a tunic to the unit on display at the Crewe Heritage Centre sadly missing the collar badges...

Peter
Cheshire (Railway) Battalion RE - tunic, with aforementioned collar badges, circa 1910. This TF unit recruited from the London and North Western Railway Company:

Regards,

JT.
Old 10-09-17, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Cheshire (Railway) Battalion RE - tunic, with aforementioned collar badges, circa 1910. This TF unit recruited from the London and North Western Railway Company:

Regards,

JT.
Great pics JT. Those collar badges are really something. A very accurate representation of a LNWR Class 1P 2-4-2 tank engine.
Old 11-09-17, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Great pics JT. Those collar badges are really something. A very accurate representation of a LNWR Class 1P 2-4-2 tank engine.
Is that what it is... a 'Class 1P 2-4-2 tank engine'? I just ignorantly assumed it was simply a generic rendition of an engine.

Nice one, Hoot.

JT
Old 11-09-17, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Is that what it is... a 'Class 1P 2-4-2 tank engine'? I just ignorantly assumed it was simply a generic rendition of an engine.

Nice one, Hoot.

JT
Just call me "Chuff-Chuff"!!. Sad ain't it??.