British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-16, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
I have been told by a PC teckie that Windows 7 can still be purchased. he did not say what the cost was.

John

Worth mentioning that if you go to Dells website and go to the Home PC section everything is Windows 10. Click on the `Work` icon its hardly mentioned using windows 8! My conclusion is they think its great to potter about on Windows 10 but if you want something reliable, robust and effective, stick with Windows 8!!!!
Old 13-02-16, 08:04 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

My real problem with Win 10 is that I could neither navigate properly nor understand the changes !!

After a short telephone tutorial with Andy ( thank you very much Sir, the cheque's in the post ?? ) I now have all my navigational tools lined up in front of me !!

I'm a simple soul and need the desktop as part of my hobby, not part of my living, so at the moment it is doing exactly what I want it to do, the main difference and what appears to be the biggest bone of contention is the start up System ?

Well you can't break it by pressing the wrong key and once you have opened up successfully a couple of times it should be plain sailing, thanks again Andy.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 13-02-16 at 10:22 PM.
Old 15-02-16, 08:13 PM

Well folks,

I'm just about up and running now, once I get a pop up blocker loaded, I should be home and dry !! I have finally sorted out my email account, the down side is that I lost all my contacts when my last desktop went down.

Here's a test of my moral character, , if any one wants me to contact them by email, they will have to PM me their address, any one who doesn't, needn't.

I had a good result when this happened a couple of years ago, so let's see how much you love me ?? LOL.
Old 15-02-16, 08:24 PM

One of my friends had an add on for 8·1 that you could toggle on/off to made it look and behave like xp, perhaps it's available for win10, just a thought.
Old 29-02-16, 05:35 PM

My laptop was running on Windows 8; I was tired of the pop up messages about Windows 10 so I decided to download and install later. Little did I know you have to install the download within 5 days.
The upgrade went well (it finished overnight). I lost my desktop image and it deleted my Classic Shell start button (I can strongly recommend this Dave!) but that was easy to fix. It took a few moments though to adjust the privacy settings to the desired "bugger off Microsoft" level.
As a whole, I see no need to upgrade. It's just different, not better.
Old 29-02-16, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Well folks,

I'm just about up and running now, once I get a pop up blocker loaded, I should be home and dry !! I have finally sorted out my email account, the down side is that I lost all my contacts when my last desktop went down.

Here's a test of my moral character, , if any one wants me to contact them by email, they will have to PM me their address, any one who doesn't, needn't.

I had a good result when this happened a couple of years ago, so let's see how much you love me ?? LOL.
Well,

I now have a couple of people I can write emails to, funny old world innit !!

Dave.
Old 28-06-16, 07:31 AM

Default Payout of $10,000 for Windows 10 update

Food for thought for those, like myself, still wondering about upgrading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 28-06-16, 03:09 PM

Against my will, I now have windows 10. I freaking hate it. Why the hell do they force this good for nothing POS update down my throat. There was nothing wrong with my windows 7. I knew exactly where things were and how to use the tools I need. NOW, I can't find a god damned thing. My default programs are no longer defaults. Why the f**k is windows 10 opening a PDF file in an offline internet explorer window? I have buddy who is going to come over to the house this weekend to try and teach me how to use the piece of garbage. I have warned him, my tolerance is low and he best bring his frag vest and helmet.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-06-16, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Against my will, I now have windows 10. I freaking hate it. Why the hell do they force this good for nothing POS update down my throat. There was nothing wrong with my windows 7. I knew exactly where things were and how to use the tools I need. NOW, I can't find a god damned thing. My default programs are no longer defaults. Why the f**k is windows 10 opening a PDF file in an offline internet explorer window? I have buddy who is going to come over to the house this weekend to try and teach me how to use the piece of garbage. I have warned him, my tolerance is low and he best bring his frag vest and helmet.
Cliff,

I had it for less than a week and went back. There is time as to when one can do it for free.

John
Old 29-06-16, 10:12 AM

Hi all
Sadly, I am yet another of those poor unfortunates who have inherited Windows 10 on their desktops after the recent demise of my beloved Windows XP machine. So many of the features I found so useful on XP are now lost or excluded from Windows 10, to be replaced by a confusing and frustrating operational system full of useless "Apps" and gimmics such as "Touch Screen" and "Cortana" ... which must take up Megabytes of space ... and in any case, who the hell wants to talk to a computer !? Jeff
Old 29-06-16, 11:01 AM

James t Kirk

Or Scottie https://m.youtube.com/?gl=GB#/watch?v=xaVgRj2e5_s
Old 29-06-16, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I stand corrected. Sorry.
But I still hate Windows 10 !
Old 14-10-17, 01:02 AM

Old thread I know but just had to get a new PC. Any more comments from those who have been using Windows 10 for a while? I am interested in how people are managing without Windows Photo Viewer- I understand it could be reactivated after an upgrade but not so with a new machine though I have seen mention of a registry alteration to enable it? - Any tips or recommendations? I want to be able to resize pictures by a percentage. Regards, Paul.
Old 14-10-17, 04:17 PM

I preferred using Win8 but 10 seriously pissed me off. It put a shed load of updates on all and once ,one of which froze my mouse. So had to have engineers reinstall it ,and move all my files to an external hard drive which i had to pay for. Then i couldnt get past the initial log in screen as i didnt have the code to activate it.
All my badge notes and images are on there and i cant access them at present.
Old 15-10-17, 02:13 AM

I think it will take me a long time to get used to it. I don't know what changes there were after windows 7 but it all seems too much of a change in the 6 years since my last PC. If anyone has any tips on basic picture manipulation like windows photo viewer I would be most interested to hear. Regards, Paul.