British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-05-18, 05:39 PM

Default 3rd-vb-gloucestershire-regiment

Hello all,

My great grandfather served in the Gloucestershire Regiment from 1873 until 1919. He lied about his age so he could serve longer. He was in the regular force i.e. 28th and 61st for 20 years. He then re-enlisted with the 2nd, 5th and 3rd Volunteer Battalions. He was a Sgt Major for much of his career and finished as a Lt with the 3rd Vol Bn.

I am considering purchasing the attached cap badge and would appreciate feedback as to whether it is likely to be genuine.

Thanks for your attention and expertise.

Nick
Old 16-05-18, 05:55 PM

Nick,

Just a thought but the Volunteer Force ceased to exist after 1908 so if he served until 1919 as you say he couldnt have been in the 3VB.

Something to consider before buying.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 16-05-18, 08:51 PM

Simon,

Thanks for your response.

I took my information re his final regimental placement from the Supplement to the London Gazette. The London Gazette for January 1920 has the title "3rd Vol. Bn., Gloucester Regt.—" Under that it lists various officers by rank and indicates that they are relinquishing their commissions, effective dates, and they are granted the hon. rank following that date. My Great grandfather relinquished December 1919 and retired.

I also notice the Gazette lists additionally the 1st Vol. Bn., Gloucester Regt. and the 5th Vol. Bn., Gloucester Regt.

Question then is where did the London Gazette came up with the Vol. Bn., Gloucester Regt.?

My Great grandfather was with the territorials 1/5th and 2/5th from 1908
until May 1916. He was too old to serve overseas but continued as Quartermaster rank Lt through December 1919.

I have several photos of him in uniform at various stages of his service but unfortunately the images are not clear enough to read the the cap badge wording.

I have included two attachments:
The first attachment taken May 1915 when the 2/5th Battalion moved to Chelmsford.
The second attachment was taken fall of 1919. He was a Lt and serving in the 3rd Vol Bn according to the London Gazette????

I am curious then as to what he might be serving in and what cap and collar badges he would have been wearing.

Cheers,
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GloucestershireRegt.jpg (40.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg GloucestershireRegt-Lt-Image2.jpg (68.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 16-05-18, 08:57 PM

Its a simple mistake you have made.

The Volunteer Force ceased to exist in April 1908 when it became the Territorial Force and subsequently the TA that everybody knows. The 3rd VB badge you show dates from a period pre 1908.

In WW1 the Volunteer Training Corps was formed which was what i call the WW1 Home Guard, consisting of old men and men who where unfit for army service. Typically old soldiers like your relative joined. They only served in the UK.

Later in the war there was a re alignment of these VTC and the became Volunteer Battalions of Line Regiments. This is what he was in and as such would have worn a standard OSD cap badge of the Glosters.

Hope it makes sense but google the VTC for a better explanation.

There you go, saved you a lot of money!!

regards

Old 16-05-18, 09:23 PM

Thanks Simon,

I had actually googled this before I read your reply and discovered exactly what you have stated. Thanks for setting me on the correct path.

Am I correct in assuming that his cap badge and collar badges would have been standard Gloucestershire Regiment officer issue likely purchased by himself?

Cheers,
Nick
Old 17-05-18, 06:42 AM

Certainly by 1918 yes.

regards