British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-09-10, 01:25 PM

Default Parachute Regiment Cap Badges (It's a puzzlement)

There have been several recent posts on the subject of the Parachute Regiment Cap Badge. I have diligently attempted to assimilate the combined wealth of knowledge presented on the subject in this forum. In the words of my Swiss-German grandfather, “Too soon old and too late smart”. Everyday I read the posts in this forum, particularly the ‘learned’ responses, I initially get further depressed. Then I gain limited satisfaction in the fact that I have essentially stopped collecting, and at least know of what I have, what is righteous and what is not. As a ‘magpie’ collector fortunately the majority of my major investments, i.e. weapons and uniforms have no issues.

There are universities, colleges and technological institutes that are missing a real opportunity in not offering a Master’s Degree with a dual major in Forensic Science/Military History (Regimental Cap Badges of the British Army and Former Commonwealth). Not altogether facetious, think Wallis & Wallis, Bosley’s, Sotheby’s, the prices on the genuine articles are going to do nothing but appreciate.

I'm hoping that the following summarizes my comprehension to date:
To wit the most recent tutorials have focused on Cap Badges of the Parachute Regiment, and it goes way beyond Kipling and King.
If it’s a genuine World War II Parachute Regiment Cap Badge (1940-1945) it must:
Have a King’s crown (Duh!)
Be made of ‘white metal’ (but very early ones may be brass)
Be lugged with east to west orientation (no sliders)
Have no die flaw near top of left wing
Have curved not straight inner short feathers
Voided versus non-voided crown
Have no shroud lines touching (forth one over from the left) the center until after the middle
Chronology/Evolution of Early Parachute Regiment Cap Badges
1. brass, lugs, voided KC
2. brass with silver wash, lugs, voided KC
3. Brass nickel plated, lugs, voided KC
4, white metal, lugs, voided KC (CB 2086)
5, white metal, lugs, non voided KC

What happened between 1945-1953 (death of King George VI) before change to Queen’s crown?
When were sliders first introduced, and were they brass?
Are their any lugged Queen’s crown Parachute Regiment badges
Did J.R. Gaunt.London stamp the sliders on any their badges?
What font, spacing and periods were used?

Do all genuine WWII berets have only a single row of stitching affixing their lining and cap band to the body of the beret (possible switch of WWII dated liner into newer wool outer body)?
Recognize that you look for different color/texture thread in the rows of stitching
Burn test, cotton/rayon versus nylon/synthetic thread
Have seen two rows of stitching on photographs of righteous berets on this forum.
What significance is the difference between a leather cap band and one of grosgrain?

Would sincerely appreciate any corrections or additions to these musings.

Arnhem Jim
Liberated Arizona Territory
Old 15-09-10, 08:06 PM

Hi Jim, just a few comments if you don't mind.

The plastic badge is missing from the list, but I'm not sure if it should come after pattern 5 on your list or between pattern 4 and 5. And then there are the Indian made badges (cast, bullion on maroon and die struck), British made cast examples (wm and stirling silver), North Africa made cast examples and KC with slider in AA.

French paras used the same badge but with the crown cut off (monarchy is a delicate subject since they invented the guillotine), but technically they weren't members of the parachute regiment.

The "shroud lines not touching" does not apply to the voided crown, KC in AA, Indian made badges (all 3 patterns) and plastic economy badge: all shroud lines end up at the base.

QC in AA have lugs I think, at least I once had one that seemed ok (but I'm no expert on AA badges).

Regarding the single stitch line for the leather sweatband: I have never studied it but it does make sense. A double row sound like belt and suspenders and it would I believe weaken the leather. I can confirm a single stitch line when I look at my 4 berets (except for a small lenght at the back where they finished stitching). I just did a burn test on the rayon ribbon and it is made of natural fibres.
Do you have a link to the berets shown on this forum with a double stitchline?
On pre-war, WWII and early post-war made issue berets you will find a leather sweatband, somewhere after the war leatherette and grosgrain were introduced. Some believe grosgrain is also found on wartime private purchase berets. However since such berets were not dated (unless you find one with a Service Dress label added to the liner ) and not sealed it is often a leap of faith.
Old 15-09-10, 08:15 PM

I have QC a/a with lugs and with slider,and KC with slider.
Old 15-09-10, 10:01 PM

Hi Jim, this is a very good thread you've started. There's a lot a very knowledgeable Para Regt collectors on this forum and it might be a good idea if members posted photographs of the various examples in their collections so we could build up an album of all the different types of Para Regt cap badges that have existed over the years.
Old 15-09-10, 10:15 PM

Done:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=655

Please send contributions by PM or e-mail (on the index page of my website).
Old 15-09-10, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I have QC a/a with lugs and with slider,and KC with slider.

Hi Mike,

Yer KC A/A with a slider is a dud.

As is any KC A/A Parachute Regiment badge as this badge was never officially authorised for issue in A/A.

Yes, I have one too...

Regards

Chris
Old 16-09-10, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Mike,

Yer KC A/A with a slider is a dud.

As is any KC A/A Parachute Regiment badge as this badge was never officially authorised for issue in A/A.

Yes, I have one too...

Regards

Chris
Hi Chris,
I have the KC AA PARA badge listed as a rare trial version. Could that mean that they were indeed officially made (though probably in limited numbers), but never issued?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 16-09-10, 07:07 PM

Forgot to add black anodised QC
Old 16-09-10, 07:08 PM

And I forgot to mention that there are 3 versions of the plastic economy cap badge.
Old 16-09-10, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Hi Chris,
I have the KC AA PARA badge listed as a rare trial version. Could that mean that they were indeed officially made (though probably in limited numbers), but never issued?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Hi Fougasse1940,

I have no evidence that this badge was ever part of a trial or authorised for issue. Anecodtal stories exist of the RAOC Corp badge but there is again no evidence for it in the ROAC file dated 1946 to the 1960's in Kew. I do though have official documentation of the RASC trial badge from 1951.

Can you post images of your K/C Para badge example so we can see what you have.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-09-10, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Forgot to add black anodised QC
Hi Mike,

No officially authorised - this is a PRI item as per all other subdued A/A badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-09-10, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

They were indeed a PRI item bought for NI tours. I think that they may have been paid for from regtl funds for the tours at one point.
Old 16-09-10, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

This is my 100% genuine one for reference:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ight=parachute
Old 16-09-10, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
They were indeed a PRI item bought for NI tours. I think that they may have been paid for from regtl funds for the tours at one point.
Hi Alan,

A lot of PRI items were indeed ordered at Regimental level and collecting this sort of item is fine so long as the collector understands this. The problem becomes an issue when dealers order subdued badges for units that never wore a sudued badge.

The SAS one is a classic example of such mischief.

Sorry to divert attention - let's get back to the original thread.

Regards

Chris
Old 16-09-10, 10:51 PM
Former Member

Default President of the Regimental Institution (PRI)

PRI items are sold for individual purchase, if a badge is produced for wear by a unit at that units cost, then it would come from either public or unit funds. So any item produced for wear by soldiers of a unit and issued at "No Cost" to individuals of that unit makes it official! As it is supplied for general wear!

Chris, this throws a spanner into the works as if the unit decides to purchase insignia for issue "Free of Charge" to soldiers of that unit it is an "Official" badge!

PRI items are "sold" to individuals at personal choice within units!

Andy