British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-22, 04:25 AM

Default RNAS PILOT EAGLE

Just wanted to add a piece I purchased. It is RNAS pilot material. It was originally a three screw post World War I eagle but the pilot had the jeweler saw off the screw posts and then the jeweler attached the separate crown and attached a World War I pin assembly. This particular piece has the very large pin directly laid upon the hinge roller to be solder attached. With the early heavy tunic material of the overseas pilots, I can understand why the pin would be so large so as to not be broken but even so, the pin was bent at the end from its use in the heavy material. I did my best to get a very close up picture of the pin hinge and catch with my camera in macro mode which changes the visual effect somewhat but you can easily see the intended section better. Under the pin hinge on the right hand wing, if you look to the left of the base of the pin hinge, you can see a portion of the remains of the sawed off right screw post beneath. Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220201_212540_726~2.jpg (69.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220201_212435_194.jpg (52.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220201_212131_668~2.jpg (67.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220201_212147_155.jpg (60.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Mtnman; 02-02-22 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-02-22, 05:00 AM

It's for wear on uniform and not a conversion to a sweetheart?
Old 02-02-22, 06:00 AM

Apparently this particular pilot wore his eagle and crown, jeweler converted piece, on his uniform. I have seen several cast conversions of the actual badges, to sweetheart wings and this one struck me because it didn't have those characteristics I had seen. I was simply going to pass it over, then I saw that it was a pilot's actual badge. So I went ahead and picked it up. I don't know, maybe some of you have examples that are just like this that are sweetheart wings?? The sweetheart wings I have seen that are conversions are cast and dull and Salvador Dali like on the back side.
Old 03-02-22, 07:17 AM

Do you have photographic evidence which shows the officer or warrant officer concerned wore it whilst in uniform, do you know the mans name and what are the characteristics you refer to that this particular badge does not have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
Apparently this particular pilot wore his eagle and crown, jeweler converted piece, on his uniform. I have seen several cast conversions of the actual badges, to sweetheart wings and this one struck me because it didn't have those characteristics I had seen. I was simply going to pass it over, then I saw that it was a pilot's actual badge. So I went ahead and picked it up. I don't know, maybe some of you have examples that are just like this that are sweetheart wings?? The sweetheart wings I have seen that are conversions are cast and dull and Salvador Dali like on the back side.
Old 07-02-22, 10:43 PM

Default RNAS Eagle with crown

Hi, What is it about the eagle that identifies it as being RNAS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
Old 08-02-22, 09:07 AM

....to me the badge in question is 100% a RAF, 3 bolt sleeve eagle 1918 pattern, converted to a sweetheart badge by adding crown. The RNAS did not use the crown over eagle badge to designate a pilot.
I believe it is simply an RAF 1918 sweetheart given to a partner, sadly not a pilots badge of any sort.
regards
Steve
Old 31-12-23, 08:59 AM

I have this single three post eagle in my collection as an RNAS pilot sleeve eagle. I assume I am correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231228_175513[1].jpg (51.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20231228_175529[1].jpg (40.6 KB, 19 views)