British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-11, 12:22 AM

Default How to sell on Ebay

I'm sure many of you do this, but can you give some easy advice please? I'm considering it myself but what's all this "listing fee" stuff about! And how do you calculate the postage etc when advertising?
Old 21-05-11, 12:44 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
I'm sure many of you do this, but can you give some easy advice please? I'm considering it myself but what's all this "listing fee" stuff about! And how do you calculate the postage etc when advertising?
HMPB,

eBay has lots of helpful sections which provide everything you'll need to know about listing items for sale, calculating P&P, and applicable fees etc.

When you log on, you should see that there is a 'Help' button at the top righ-hand side. Click on it, and you will be taken to a 'Browse Help' page. From here you will be able to find all the advice you'll need.

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 21-05-11 at 01:23 AM.
Old 21-05-11, 08:31 AM

As Peter says, most info can be found on the Ebay help pages. Quite easy to register for selling, their fees are approx 10% which they take after the sale, if the buyer pays with Paypal, they will also take a fee for handling the transaction. P&P can be calculated from the PO web site, weigh your package and fill in the info on the site and it will show all the postage options.
http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/Pr...ar=pricingcalc
Lee
Old 27-05-11, 02:02 PM

Also use the proper category, show good close up pictures and provide a good item description. Offer to ship worldwide and use a low starting price. Do not inflate shipping fees.
Old 27-05-11, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMPbadges View Post
In answer to your question about calculating postage it just gets easier the more you do but basically weigh your item including postage materials to give you your postage weight , you can then check on royal mail website for exact postage costs. When you have you exact postage costs it is then up to you if you want to charge for materials, time etc. Some members on this forum will send their items at cost price and grumble if anyone's else's postage price is more expensive than theirs - believe me I have had grumpy members saying that my postage prices are a bloody rip off. The best advice I can give you is check current postage prices for similar items on eBay then decide how much you need to charge ( My time & materials are not free therefore I charge for them ).

Regards Ben
Old 27-05-11, 04:58 PM
Banned

HMPB - I sell on ebay but not as much as others. I tend to sell single badges which, by weight, tend to fall below the maximum allowed for 'large item' classification. Nowardays I always send by 1st class recorded delivery due to one or two disputes about non-receipt by buyers. Add to that the cost of a middle size padded envelope and a small amount of padding - bubblewrap is perfect - and you can calculate your cost from that. 1st class large is 0.75p ; recorded delivery is an extra £1.05 ; a padded envelope is 10p (PM me if you want some) and bubble wrap (say) 10p (for wrapping a small badge). Total £2.00. Of course, if your nearest Post Office is some distance away then add a bit for your petrol - I tend not to make 'special' journeys. As for your time ? I personally don't bother. Of course, some folk DO over-egg the pudding with their prices but that will certainly put some potential buyers off. Hope that helps. Regards. David
Old 27-05-11, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
...... Nowardays I always send by 1st class recorded delivery due to one or two disputes about non-receipt by buyers......
This is a very good point , recorded delivery does give piece of mind especially if you are paid using paypal ( paypal works well most of the time but can be a nightmare if you are a seller - I bet nearly every member on this forum who sells has had a problem with paypal at some point - don't mean to scare you but it's not a foolproof system). I would say on the whole most ebay buyers are honest but there are a few who ruin things and Royal Mail do lose parcels even recorded deliveries but not that often.