British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-08-17, 12:07 PM

Default Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) QVC ORs

Hi all,

There are many threads to Officers badges of the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) with some stunning examples shown by Roy. What I have struggled to find are threads covering the WM ORs QVC badge.

Worn 1882-1901 according to Bloomer. I have seen them for sale in the past but have never been convinced as to them being genuine. This one was broached but the pin is now missing.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BW.jpg (83.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg BWr.jpg (86.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 19-08-17, 01:21 PM

No idea but from the back it looks like a good, crisp striking, which is a good sign IMHO.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-08-17, 03:12 PM

Interesting badge. The deep pressing is a very good sign and corresponds well to mine. There has been a fair bit of debate as to dates of this badge and also if it is a SNCO only badge. The non-scrolled badge is not common. Geoff McWilliam in his excellent publication, "A collectors guide to infantry glengarry badges Pt.1", lays out all the published detail. Carman quotes a 1874 - 81 time frame.

Bryan
Old 19-08-17, 03:33 PM

Hi Dean
A very nice example of an ORs wm badge to the Black Watch. Congratulations in acquiring it.
Actually this particular badge has a confusing pedigree :
It is listed in K&K as 496 in the PT series, although as you say Bloomer dates it as 1882 - 1901. Carman's book says 1874 - 1881(ORs), DNW say 1860 - 1881(Sgts), while Ron Marsden dates it as 1874 - 1881 adding that there is a bronze variation.
So not quite as straightforward as one might expect. My money goes on Carman and Ron Marsden's ratings. Regards Jeff

PS: Thanks for the accolade Bryan
PPS: Dean; see page 6 of Ron's excellent 42nd thread.

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 19-08-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 19-08-17, 08:05 PM

Thanks very much for the detailed discussion and comments Alex, Bryan and Geoff. Happy to have consensus dating of 1874-81. Rather a simple hobby really, cheers Dean.
Old 21-08-17, 05:06 PM

Dean/Jeff, a picture of Piper Weatherspoon DCM taken in 1874 wearing the badge in question.Behind the badge is a pinked oval of leather or material this is worn North South rather than the West East direction shown in my 42nd thread. He also wears the crown collar badge introduced in that year.
Ron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_20170821 (2).jpg (114.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 21-08-17, 05:59 PM

Nice picture Ron, and a dated one. I guess that dismisses the SNCO only theory. What I would really like to see is a time line of each known badge against headgear type and possibly against battalion/associated volunteers and militia where badges are unit specific. Say, irrefutable proof references stated or best guess if that is all that is known. The 42nd/Black Watch would certainly have a fair few cap badges on it! But as a reference it would make things easier to pin point.

Bryan

Tags
black watch, royal highlanders