British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-17, 11:22 AM

Default Badges of rank

I know I should be aware of this but my mind is a blank, and no reference works are available to me on a Sunday evening...

In 1908 Regular Army Warrant Officers wore WHAT- three chevrons & Crown? RSM four chevrons on lower sleeve?

I'm aware of the changes in 1915, but am a blank as to what was worn prior to that by Regulars. Were they the same as the TF?

ALSO
Brigadiers:
31.12.20. AO 545: the rank of Brigadier General was abolished.
31.05.28. AO 76: Rank of Brigadier introduced by Royal Warrant. The Dress and Badges of rank were to be those as worn by Colonels Commandant and Colonels of Staff- a Crown and three stars.
By 1939 Brigadiers were wearing the crossed sword & baton with on Bath star. When did the insignia change?

Thanks, Stephen.
Old 13-08-17, 11:42 AM

Conductors AOC, and 1st Class Staff Serjeants-Major ASC and APC, wore a crown in wreath. All other Warrant Officers wore a crown until 1915.

As far as I know Brigadiers still wear the crown and three stars today, at least in the Australian Army. Brigadier-General was the crossed sword and baton (I think), while adding a star to that made him a Major-General.

Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 13-08-17 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 13-08-17, 12:20 PM

Default Badges of rank

Keith,

Thanks. Dress Regs 1934 show Brigadiers wearing a Crown and three stars. I think I've been confused by the rank of a Brigadier (Retired)!

Stephen.
Old 13-08-17, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Keith,

Thanks. Dress Regs 1934 show Brigadiers wearing a Crown and three stars. I think I've been confused by the rank of a Brigadier (Retired)!

Stephen.
Hello, just to bring my two pence to the discussion. A WW1 Brigadier showing his rank badges.
© IWM (HU 109478
Brigadier General Harold Edward Elliott, CB.CMG.DSO.DCM.VD. Australian Imperial Force; Staff.

© IWM (HU 122446)
Brigadier General Herbert Cokayne Frith, CB. 125th Infantry Brigade Staff, attached to the 223rd Mixed Brigade.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-08-17, 11:37 PM

Default Badges of rank

Jo,

Thanks. Both men are Brigadier-Generals: a rank that was abolished in 1920.
The fog is slowly clearing...

Stephen.