British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-17, 08:55 AM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry

Is there a Yeomanry collector present who could post an image of the title K.O.R.R. worn, probably unofficially, in the early part of WW2 by 65 ATk Regt RA. Confirmation of its use would also be welcome (the regiment will feature in Militaria magazine soon). Thanks. Mike
Old 25-07-17, 09:45 AM

Default KORR

Mike,

Attached photo, courtesy of Chris Young [MHS member], who owns this title. Apparently it came from the son of an ex-Norfolk Yeomanry member. I have yet to see it pictured in use: it did NOT feature in any of the photo albums at Muckleborough (the regimental collection).

If you can tell me anything about it I would love to hear more.

Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norfolk Yeo cloth title- Chris Young.jpg (24.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-07-17, 11:23 AM

Stephen,
Very many thanks. I've never seen this title before - I hope a Forum member can give chapter and verse on when it was worn. Perhaps it came into being "under the radar" and was worn without authorisation in WW2? Mike
Old 25-07-17, 10:55 PM

Default Norfolk Yeo

Mike,

If this wasn't the title you anticipated, what title were you looking for? I thought the regiment had adopted RA metal titles on SD prior to the war, albeit with 'T' added at some stage.

Stephen.
Old 26-07-17, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Mike,

If this wasn't the title you anticipated, what title were you looking for? I thought the regiment had adopted RA metal titles on SD prior to the war, albeit with 'T' added at some stage.

Stephen.
Stephen,
What we were actually looking for was a high quality image of the brass title reading K.O.R.R. (King's Own Royal Regiment) which was possibly still being worn in the BEF period 1939-40. An example of this title has been recovered from a Dunkirk beach by a local collector. Of course it may have been in a soldier's kit, not on his shoulder strap, but the Yeomanry (I speak as a former Yeoman) were notorious for bending War Office uniform regulations to accommodate their particular history! Mike
Old 26-07-17, 07:51 AM

Default brass korr

heres the two known types
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1091.jpg (50.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 26-07-17, 11:15 AM

Very many thanks - much appreciated. Mike
Old 26-07-17, 11:28 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Mike,

Attached photo, courtesy of Chris Young [MHS member], who owns this title. Apparently it came from the son of an ex-Norfolk Yeomanry member. I have yet to see it pictured in use: it did NOT feature in any of the photo albums at Muckleborough (the regimental collection).

If you can tell me anything about it I would love to hear more.

Regards, Stephen.
Stephen

The white on black titles were for RAC Regiments post 1950... some were slow on the uptake, still using their Wartime titles. The LYPAO kept to their RA titles up until the last minute..... but some did wear the white on black and they as a rare as hens teeth. The only proof I have that they were worn is an old Oakham (Rutland) Militaria/Antiques dealer who had, through his hands, the uniform of the post war CO of A Squadron. He was a red beret Officer during WW2 and being new into the Yeomanry ..his name was Major Michael Marsh MC (OC A Sqn LYPAO from 1949) ..... and his uniform had the white on black titles sewn onto them. Some lucky collector has them now.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 26-07-17, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Stephen

The white on black titles were for RAC Regiments post 1950... some were slow on the uptake, still using their Wartime titles. The LYPAO kept to their RA titles up until the last minute..... but some did wear the white on black and they as a rare as hens teeth. The only proof I have that they were worn is an old Oakham (Rutland) Militaria/Antiques dealer who had, through his hands, the uniform of the post war CO of A Squadron. He was a red beret Officer during WW2 and being new into the Yeomanry ..his name was Major Michael Marsh MC (OC A Sqn LYPAO from 1949) ..... and his uniform had the white on black titles sewn onto them. Some lucky collector has them now.
Thanks. That is most informative, but to revert to the title NORFOLK YEOMANRY in yellow on black - why were these colours also selected by (or for) the Surrey Yeomanry QMR, Sussex Yeomanry and Lanarkshire Yeomanry? Mike
Old 26-07-17, 03:22 PM
LYPAO Boff

oooops.... I thought they were white on black.... apologies

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro