British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-10, 10:03 PM

Chris

Quote - "Some badges are also marked to slider and body but I have not seen a badge with an unmarked slider and marked body"

As usual in this hobby there is always one that crops up to add to the confusion. I have attached front and back pictures of one of the Leeds University OTC badges I have, blank slider but body marked twice with Firmin. No sign that the slider has been replaced.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leeds University OTC (AA)(Firmin).jpg (95.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Leeds University OTC (AA)(Firmin)(Rear).jpg (77.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 01-03-10, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Chris

Quote - "Some badges are also marked to slider and body but I have not seen a badge with an unmarked slider and marked body"

As usual in this hobby there is always one that crops up to add to the confusion. I have attached front and back pictures of one of the Leeds University OTC badges I have, blank slider but body marked twice with Firmin. No sign that the slider has been replaced.

Paddy
There you go!!!

Always an exception.

Regards

Chris
Old 02-03-10, 11:25 AM

Default Named Sliders

I can only comment on named sliders from the late '60s-1969 when I took the Queens shilling and as far as I know all my cap badges were marked mainly Gaunt but others came about through the years until I "Retired" in 1993.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 02-03-10, 01:48 PM
Former Member

Exclamation Panic and Hysteria???? Slidered Badges..

Gentlemen,
I think this thread has done nothing but generate panic about named sliders, you only have to look in my 1916 All Gilding Metal album to see the proportion of named to not named sliders.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=400

Disregarding anodised and post 1950s Queen's Crown badges completely, they are not as common as people are indicating.. Lambourne, Woodward, Smith & Wright and Tiptaft marks are all scarce on WW1 badges, FN B'HAM on WW1/WW2 and FIRMIN, DOWLER and GAUNT LONDON on WW2 and later. I am only refering to ORs badges as OSD and other officers badges tend to be more 50/50 marked not marked. The point I make, yet again, to the New Collectors is steer clear of;

J.R.GAUNT.LONDON

There are genuine badges with this mark (see the Makers Mark section here on the Forum for description and measurements), but they are not common, mostly found on Yeomanry and Cavalry badges..

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/mak...ks/sliders.htm.

As long as you do a little homework and use the MM section above, a Marked Slider should be regarded as more of a "Find" than a "Bind"..

Of course this is my opinion only! Happy Collecting..

Andy
Old 02-03-10, 04:47 PM

Default Named Sliders

Gentlemen,

Is Thomas Fattorini of Bolton worth a mention?

In my modest collection of VTC badges, the majority of those manufactured by Fattorini are named, in many cases on the slider. Interestingly, not always the same stamp!

Tim.
Old 07-02-17, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

These are 3 fake Fattorini sliders for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake fattorini sliders.jpg (21.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-02-17, 02:29 AM

Default Whilst we are on this subject...

May I ask if it is feasible to have a Tiptaft marked slider on an AA cap badge?

I read that Tiptaft was bought by another company in the 30's and although badges were still made after that, nothing much happened after the 40's. AA badges only came into existence in the 50's (or 60's, sorry, my AA badges history sucks)....? And the mark I am talking about is the small circle one that you read having the slider placed vertically - there is an example in the MM reference page.

I have one such badge and it is in my fake plastic box.
Old 08-02-17, 07:57 PM

As you say, Tiptaft stopped long before A/A badges came into use.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 08-02-17, 09:51 PM

Regarding Fattorini, the reason that the majority were marked is because they were privately procured by the VTCs - even though they might have had purchase grants. The vast majority of badges made were contracted by the WO who didn't really care where they came from. The units that were supplied with them had no choice so 'advertising' was a waste of time.