British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-02-16, 05:23 PM

Default Introduction of collar badges

Hello. Could someone please tell me when metal collar badges were introduced to the 6th Dragoons other ranks, and which uniform. Thank you for your time
Old 09-02-16, 06:05 PM

From my own research at the National Archives I see the first pattern collar badges for other ranks of the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons was pattern number 4729/1898 described in the ledger as "Badges Collar white metal all ranks sealed on 1/11/1898 by authority ACD patterns 9444.

The approval is recorded in WO359/9/90.

I did not make a note on whether the order of dress was stipulated in the ledger but am pretty sure that at this stage it was for full dress only.

The details in this site are very good and broadly in line with what I see in official documentation.

http://www.uniformology.com/UIDSPEC-08.html

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 09-02-16 at 06:23 PM. Reason: added word "broadly" in final sentence.
Old 09-02-16, 06:27 PM

After posting I thought I should check the IWM and NAM online holdings and the IWM hold the pattern cards now. Here is their transcription of the pattern card with the link below

An identical pair of standard pattern white metal collar badges for the 6th Dragoons (Inniskillings), each with a pair of lugs on reverse and brass retaining pins, the badges are shaped around the emblem which features the Castle of Inniskilling, the badges are tied to a thick rectangular card mount inscribed as follows: "1898 Royal Army Clothing Department STANDARD Pattern No. 4729. 1898. 6th Dragoons The Inniskillings. BADGES, COLLARS, with Brass Pins. All Ranks. For collars of tunics and frocks. Date 1.11.98", the reverse is sealed with red wax impressed with the stamp of the Chief Inspector and date 1917 is handwritten at top.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30065650

thus confirming the first sealing was for tunics and the scarlet frock. Also note that the illustration in unformology is incorrect the O/R collar badges did not have the scroll "Inniskilling"

John
Old 09-02-16, 08:02 PM

Thank you so much John for your quick reply. And most informative, exactly the information i was looking for. Greatly appreciated and thanks for the linc to the site, looks good. Cheers and take care, Chris
Old 09-02-16, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dg View Post
Thank you so much John for your quick reply. And most informative, exactly the information i was looking for. Greatly appreciated and thanks for the linc to the site, looks good. Cheers and take care, Chris
You are very welcome Chris - happy to help.

John