British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-17, 06:14 PM

Default Copy badges!!!

Just saw this, needless to say, I'm f****** p****** off!!!

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/26407...is_a_copy.html

Just a few years and these will be original...

Last edited by Alex Rice; 29-01-17 at 06:35 AM.
Old 29-01-17, 05:22 AM

Alex, I stay away from SF, Para, 32 etc because there are so many fakes

regards, Iain
Old 29-01-17, 06:15 AM

I don't agree with making copies at all, but surely they should just put replica or copy or fake in the casting on the back. Doesn't impress me much. And Iain, I here what you say about staying clear of certain items, but it shouldn't have to be that way. It should be exciting to pick up a rare item and not have your mind clouded by is it original or not. Just venting....It is a subject that makes me feel very unhappy. My sentiments with Alex. Andrew
Old 29-01-17, 08:27 AM

It can only ever be what it actually is, even if claimed otherwise, at some future point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Just saw this, needless to say, I'm f****** p****** off!!!

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/26407...is_a_copy.html

Just a few years and these will be original...
Old 29-01-17, 09:20 AM

I also agree with both Alex and Andrew, and as copies they should be marked as such. I overheard a conversation the other day and a market where an ex national service member was looking for basic infantry insignia; Bokkop, beret, balkie and flashes, as he had dumped his after his service and now wanted a reminder, and something to show his kids. The stall holder (and collector) informed him where he may be able to find what he was looking for, but went further and said he could always get copies of the originals as they were plentiful on a certain auction site. He even went as far as saying that the copies were better manufactured then the originals, so no problem buying them. As a collector I would have thought he knew better...

So there is definitely a marked for the copies, but again, mark them as such then those who only want a memento of his service wont mind owning a copy and the collectors marked wont need to worry about the copies.

Steven
Old 29-01-17, 06:37 PM

I believe it should be Law that anything copied, should be marked where it can be clearly seen as such. That'll never happen in this Country though, it would probably be seen as offending someone's writes in some way !
Andy
Old 29-01-17, 11:47 PM

Unfortunately, it would be practically impossible to enforce.
Old 30-01-17, 01:55 PM

Sadly there are many copies from many countries in circulation nowadays. When one comes across such an item being sold on the internet I download and save the image. In this way I have a reference to compare with items I wish to buy / swap. It gives me a "reference database".

Good reference books and these images plus a bit of knowledge gathered over the years assist me in not being caught too often. I must have a library of over 100 fake Rhodesian badge images alone as well as many SA images of fakes.
Old 11-02-17, 08:17 PM

The UDI period does seem to be a favourite as far as spurious badges goes, a great shame.