British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-16, 05:40 AM

Default WW1 NZ Expeditionary and Onward Badges

Hi all,

I have looked through the forums for an answer on this one but can't seem to find anything.

I have two questions. The onward badges with wreath (not ferns) are the older, scarcer ones? What are they worth?

Are the expeditionary forces badges valuable? I don't see many on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160901_120829.jpg (83.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-09-16, 10:04 PM

Both are WW1 period badges

the badge on the right with wreath - maybe GBP20
nice badge though - can't say I've seen one with a slider before - mostly have lugs

the Expeditionary Force badge - quite a bit of wear - maybe GBP15

neither badge are that rare
Old 05-09-16, 12:04 AM

The "Onward" badge with the oak wreath is attributed to the British Section raised from New Zealanders living in the UK, that's my understanding anyway. It would fit in with the slider as well.
Old 05-09-16, 06:26 AM

Oak leaf onward badges have been proven to be just a variant of the General Service badge, frequently issued to men released from hospital , it is not only related to the British Section recruited in 1914
Old 05-09-16, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daremeister View Post
Hi all,

I have looked through the forums for an answer on this one but can't seem to find anything.

I have two questions. The onward badges with wreath (not ferns) are the older, scarcer ones? What are they worth?

Are the expeditionary forces badges valuable? I don't see many on the market.
I concur with Wayne that the badge on the left is a British made WW1 New Zealand General Service badge, it has fern leafs that look similar to an oak leaf, and for that reason it is commonly referred to as an “oak leaf” onward badge.
This so called “oak wreath” onward hat badge was definitely not “worn by the British Section raised from New Zealanders living in the UK.”
It is possible it may have been issued to the NZ Contingent that took part in the Empire Parade in London on the 9th November 1915, as they were certainly issued onward badges, but so far photos have not been found to confirm what style of fern leaves were worn..
I am of the opinion in most other cases the “oak wreath” onward hat badge would have been privately purchased by New Zealand troops.

The NZ expeditionary forces badge on the right is a Reinforcement badge that was worn from the 34th Reinforcements onwards, they were made in New Zealand and Australia, and reproduced in cast form in Egypt during WW1 and WW2.
Old 05-09-16, 11:19 AM

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Tags
expeditionary, new zealand, onward, ww1