British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-17, 12:46 PM

Thank you Malcolm, I have done just that. He seems willing to give me a full refund. He claims he purchased it from a reputable dealer as original, but isn't arguing the point.
Does anyone have a picture they could post showing the back of a QVC period helmet plate, so I know what to look for in the future?
Old 07-04-17, 12:53 PM

I am afraid all mine are mounted in frames so i cant photo the rear, but with Gilt Helmet Plates the fronts are as good an indicator as the rear.

These items used a gilt containing mercury which cannot be reproduced by the fakers of the helmet plates. The process is still possible (overseas) but too expensive for fakes.

It has a unique patina which you will become familiar with with experience when viewing or ideally handling them.

Also these were suberbly made with crisp sharp points and edges. Look at the silver star on your RS plate, its not sharp at all and looks clearly moulded and smooth to touch, a sure fire give away.

The rears should bu dull and not be shiny, the fittings showing signs of wear.

I hope that helps.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-04-17, 04:35 PM

Default A Couple of Pics

Hi DR
Just posting these pics which I hope will be of some interest and help to you.
Unfortunately the Royal Scots is just a "blow-up" from my previous post, but the Lothian is a proper close-up with a bit better detail. Hope these are ok for you tho' would like to see a better R.S from any other member if they have one. Regards Jeff

Lothian Regt Offs HP HS Colln.jpg R.Scots Offs HP CU.jpg

PS: I note the curious reversal of metals on the centre ornaments when compared to your badge. Was this supposed to distinguish between the 1st & 2nd Battns ?

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 07-04-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William View Post
Hi DR
Just posting these pics which I hope will be of some interest and help to you.
Unfortunately the Royal Scots is just a "blow-up" from my previous post, but the Lothian is a proper close-up with a bit better detail. Hope these are ok for you tho' would like to see a better R.S from any other member if they have one. Regards Jeff

PS: I note the curious reversal of metals on the centre ornaments when compared to your badge. Was this supposed to distinguish between the 1st & 2nd Battns ?
Good question. I believe I recall reading that the blue or green enamel on the badge distinguished the battalions, but no idea about the metal, or even if this distinction was continued. I don't recall ever seeing blue on the later forage cap badges.
Old 10-04-17, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_rittmeister View Post
Good question. I believe I recall reading that the blue or green enamel on the badge distinguished the battalions, but no idea about the metal, or even if this distinction was continued. I don't recall ever seeing blue on the later forage cap badges.
Hi DR
Yes I agree, all officers badges to the Royal Scots after 1881 were green backed. I have never seen a post 1881 helmet plate (or forage cap badge) with a blue backing. However, a closer look at the KC Offs helmet plate does show the reversed metals in the centre ... so this is not just a "fakers folly" but surely has some significance !?

R.Scots Offs HP KC.jpg
Old 10-04-17, 09:09 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff Mc William;400856]Hi DR
Yes I agree, all officers badges to the Royal Scots after 1881 were green backed. I have never seen a post 1881 helmet plate (or forage cap badge) with a blue backing. However, a closer look at the KC Offs helmet plate does show the reversed metals in the centre ... so this is not just a "fakers folly" but surely has some significance !?

I thought the Royals Scots officers had gone to the Kilmarnock for full-dress by 1902 so I'm perplexed that there even is a kings-crown helmet plate.
Old 11-04-17, 08:51 AM

Default R.Scots Kilmarnock

Hi again DR
Thanks for the post. Yes, I guess it may be a bit surprising to discover a R.Scots KC helmet Plate considering the circumstances you mention, and they are undoubtedly rare items. But, at the risk of seeming pedantic, the change to the Kilmarnock bonnet was in fact made in August 1903.(see attachment)
I am not quite sure when the KC plates were authorized but I guess late 1901 or early 1902, which would have given it a life of at least a year ... so, yes rare.
However, the attached photo of Officers c.1904 shows the central figure (the CO ?) still wearing the helmet, so perhaps it continued in use for some functions a little longer. ??
Anyway, I hope the attached pics are of some interest and use to you. Regards. Jeff

R.Scots Kilmarnock bonnet 1903.jpg R.Scots c.1904 Edinburgh.jpg

R.Scots 1913 L&McC.jpg
Old 11-04-17, 10:56 PM

Yes of great interest. Thanks very much Jeff.
Old 24-12-17, 12:23 AM

Default Recent acquisitions

With a little more wisdom (hopefully) and experience I've recently acquired an authentic helmet plate, as well as a few other Royal Scots insignia. Sorry the picture quality is not top notch. I'd love to acquire one of the original home service helmet plates that I think date to 1878 or 1879 with the blue enamel and St. Andrew badge but they must be extremely rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171206_133019.jpg (102.0 KB, 43 views)