British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-17, 12:48 PM

Default Sgt A BLACKMAN - 'MARINE A'

We are not political on this forum, but no doubt share relief that Sgt A Blackman will soon be home. Congratulations to his immediate family, wider 'Corps' family, and supporters for their tenacity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arn-freed.html

Mike
Old 28-03-17, 01:08 PM

MADE MY DAY!!.................Lets hope he and his family can settle into some kind of normal life................
Old 28-03-17, 02:22 PM

Should never have gone away in my opinion good luck Sgt black man and family
Old 28-03-17, 02:37 PM

I was astonished that this ever happened. A political scapegoat comes to mind.

My very best wishes to him and his family and hopes that they can all move on from this experience and wish them every success and happiness in rebuilding their lives.

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 28-03-17, 04:00 PM

There may well be some 'fall-out' in the senior officers de-brief as a result of today's long overdue result. As has been mentioned, this should never have found it's way into the current court martial system ... hopefully, the 'system' will now be deemed not fit for purpose and changes made.
Old 28-03-17, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunray9 View Post
There may well be some 'fall-out' in the senior officers de-brief as a result of today's long overdue result. As has been mentioned, this should never have found it's way into the current court martial system ... hopefully, the 'system' will now be deemed not fit for purpose and changes made.
The law in respect of murder and manslaughter by British subjects whilst outwith the UK is very clear and I don't believe it will change to any material degree.

It would have been interesting to see the result had he appeared before a Crown Court with a jury as opposed to a court martial. I feel that it would be more appropriate for offences such as murder & manslaughter and other serious offences to be tried via the public court system and not by the military themselves. I always feel that courts martial lack that essential degree of impartiality that is so important within an effective justice system.

No system is perfect and the bottom line is that the evidence of unlawful killing was overwhelming. I don't believe that the "campaign" on his behalf carried any particular weight insofar as the influencing of the court is concerned, the evidence of his state of mind is what swung the end result. That result, in my opinion would have eventually been there without any intervention by the public.

The senior officers mentioned are on the face of it, fireproof. They could not, in all honesty have contemplated covering up such an incident (if that is what is being suggested), as to do so would have been professional suicide. No matter how unacceptable to many, the offender was the author of his own misfortune. It is a pity that none of those who were with him did not have the presence of mind to stop him from pulling the trigger. He compounded his error by immediately acknowledging that by killing the man he had breached the Geneva convention. And then urged those present not to speak about it. Not good! He made a mistake and has paid the price.

Dave.
Old 28-03-17, 07:02 PM

Not forgetting the action of Lt. Col. Oliver Lee RM, who was denied the chance to give evidence at the original hearing and saw fit to resign his commission.
A WO1 (RSM) was also denied the chance to give evidence on Al's behalf.
Old 28-03-17, 07:27 PM

Military Law is Corrupt IMHO.
Andy
Old 28-03-17, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
Military Law is Corrupt IMHO.
Andy
You were certainly never made aware of your rights (if you had any) or a defence other than your own word on OC's or CO's orders which could end up with you spending 28 Days for the RP's pleasure! I have no experience of Courts Martial but believe you could at least when I served appoint an Officer for your defence, but what/who was the Officer defending?
Paul
Old 28-03-17, 07:47 PM

Section 69.....unbecoming of a human being.
Andy