British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-01-17, 07:50 PM

Default Ministry of Defence Police buttons

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I will ask it anyway!

Have the Ministry of Defence Police ever worn black buttons? I collect insignia related to the police and fire services in the old Royal Dockyards and I have been offered some buttons bearing the EIIR cypher which I have been told are MOD Police, but they are black. I have examples of the usual buttons but I've never seen any black ones before - not even in photographs. Advice please!

Pete
Old 08-01-17, 08:11 PM

I suspect that they may not be worn to-day. However, at some time in the past greatcoats would have been worn together with the black composite buttons featuring the QC above EIIR.

Dave.
Old 09-01-17, 08:22 AM

Hi David

Mant thanks! That makes sense as I know many forces wore black buttons on their overcoats. Was this still being done in the 1970s when the MOD Police was formed?

Pete
Old 09-01-17, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question but I will ask it anyway!

Have the Ministry of Defence Police ever worn black buttons? I collect insignia related to the police and fire services in the old Royal Dockyards and I have been offered some buttons bearing the EIIR cypher which I have been told are MOD Police, but they are black. I have examples of the usual buttons but I've never seen any black ones before - not even in photographs. Advice please!

Pete
Were Black ones SBA- Soveriegn Base Area Police?
Old 09-01-17, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hi David

Mant thanks! That makes sense as I know many forces wore black buttons on their overcoats. Was this still being done in the 1970s when the MOD Police was formed?

Pete
Yes, most certainly. I used to visit Deysbrook Barracks in Liverpool in the 1970's and the Army Dept. Police & later the MoD Police could be seen wearing greatcoats with black buttons during the winter months.

Dave.
Old 09-01-17, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodisedbob View Post
Were Black ones SBA- Soveriegn Base Area Police?
Don't think so. The SBA Police have their own SBA police pattern buttons in chrome. I'm not aware of any black versions of their custom pattern.

Dave.
Old 09-01-17, 01:43 PM

Many thanks Dave

That seems to have solved the problem!

Pete
Old 09-01-17, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Pete
I too can confirm they did use black buttons on greatcoats. When in 1991,I joined the DRA (Defence Research Agency) Guardforce at DRA Haslar (formerly the Admiralty Research Establishment Haslar), we took over from the MOD Police and inherited a locker room full of old wool great coats and other overcoats made of a black, criss crossed rubberised material, both had black plastic buttons with the E"R cypher. and were certainly used up to the end of the 1980's, if not later.

I did "acquire" a number of these buttons and will look to see if I can find them.

Regards

Tony
Old 09-01-17, 09:29 PM

Smile

Quote:

Pete
Button insignia: mod constabulary and army fire service, sergeants and constables.
Nsn. 8455-99-135-9378
Nylon black 30 line,small. Royal cypher

Sba. Crown only in gilt. I stand corrected

Bob
Old 09-01-17, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Button insignia: mod constabulary and army fire service, sergeants and constables.
Nsn. 8455-99-135-9378
Nylon black 30 line,small. Royal cypher

Sba. Crown only in gilt. I stand corrected

Bob
I'm not aware of the "crown only in gilt" button worn by the SBA Police. Their buttons are in chrome plated metal with a QC centre. Across the top "SBA" and below in the word "Police". They are supplied in at least three sizes.

Dave.
Old 10-01-17, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
I'm not aware of the "crown only in gilt" button worn by the SBA Police. Their buttons are in chrome plated metal with a QC centre. Across the top "SBA" and below in the word "Police". They are supplied in at least three sizes.

Dave.
Will send the NSN tonight

Bob
Old 10-01-17, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Dave.
Button insignia: Royal Air Force, sovereign base area, cyprus personnel
Gilding metal, bright gilt plate
Nsn 8455-99-122-8853. 26 line
Nsn 8455-99-122-8852. 36 line
Old 11-01-17, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Dave.
See attached

regards

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MOD SBA Buttons.pdf (586.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-01-17, 11:36 AM

Quote:
See attached

regards

Bob
Many thanks. What you've identified are the buttons worn by the SBA Customs. As I've already said, the SBA Police have their own "named" buttons. As an aside, those brass/gilt buttons with the QC and lined background are identical to those worn latterly by the former HM Customs & Excise and currently by HM Revenue & Customs. Attached image of the SBA Customs badge may be of interest.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6568.jpg (119.3 KB, 14 views)