British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-17, 06:12 PM
jamesmilitaria

Default Two Dragons

Good day folks

Here are two dragons. I thought that the top one might be a FS Cap badge for post 1920 1st Punjab Regt but it faces the wrong way I think. So is it just a collar?

What about the crowned Dragon? Not a collar as has the brooch fitting but is it a sweetheart brooch or a pagree badge and for what unit?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080599.jpg (73.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg P1080600.jpg (58.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 22-04-17, 06:15 PM

Hi James,

I'm no expert but I think you may be correct about the top one being a collar. I know one thing for sure...I like it..

The bottom one rings a bell but can't quite place up, I'm sure someone will weight in soon.

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 22-04-17, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmilitaria View Post
... post 1920 1st Punjab Regt
There was no 1st Punjab Regiment in 1920.

From 1922 there was the "large" 1st Punjab Regiment, but that had a different badge (with a small dragon at the bottom).

The 2nd Bn, 1st Punjab Regiment of 1922 was the former 66th Punjabis which wore a dragon like this. So that is a possibility.

Also the 74th Punjabis had a dragon as badge. In 1922 the became 4th Bn, 2nd Punjab Regiment (with had a ship as badge).

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 23-04-17, 08:54 AM

The Dragon with the crown is definitely the 66th Punjabis (WW1) - according to Nath's Sowars and Sepoys he shows two badges one facing left and one facing right - one is an officers side cap and the other is a collar - but he doesn't make it clear which is which. As for the one without the crown - I'd assume that it's a variant not illustrated - possibly earlier ? Tim
Old 23-04-17, 01:07 PM

I often see the question posed, "is it a sweetheart or a pagri badge?" and quite often its easy to say what it isnt because of the rear brooch pin fittings.

Any badge you see with an applied oval or round backing to the fittings is NOT original to the badge if its a Military cap / collar badge. These fittings were commercially produced and supplied and were only fitted to military badges, sometime after their official use has ceased.

You will find these fittings on commercially produced non-military and sweetheart badges but not on Pagri badges.

Pagri badges with pins were manufactured with pins attached as part of their construction not as "after market" applied ovals etc.

Hope the explaination helps in the future.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-04-17, 12:56 PM

I agree with Simon: the pin fittings are not original to the badge, so almost certainly not a pagri badge.

OTOH, it is such a lovely badge that I can see any number of people, perhaps with no regimental/military connection, wanting it as a brooch.
Old 30-04-17, 06:21 PM
jamesmilitaria

I didn't know that about the brooch fitting so thanks for the explanation.

Yes both nice badges and both looking for homes.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

James
Old 30-04-17, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
The Dragon with the crown is definitely the 66th Punjabis (WW1) - according to Nath's Sowars and Sepoys he shows two badges one facing left and one facing right - one is an officers side cap and the other is a collar - but he doesn't make it clear which is which. As for the one without the crown - I'd assume that it's a variant not illustrated - possibly earlier ? Tim
Hoping this help.
Jo
The dragon without the crown.
© IWM (HU 119835) Lieutenant Colonel G DL Chatterton DSO., 66th Punjabis,

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 30-04-17, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
I often see the question posed, "is it a sweetheart or a pagri badge?" and quite often its easy to say what it isnt because of the rear brooch pin fittings.

Any badge you see with an applied oval or round backing to the fittings is NOT original to the badge if its a Military cap / collar badge. These fittings were commercially produced and supplied and were only fitted to military badges, sometime after their official use has ceased.

You will find these fittings on commercially produced non-military and sweetheart badges but not on Pagri badges.

Pagri badges with pins were manufactured with pins attached as part of their construction not as "after market" applied ovals etc.

Hope the explaination helps in the future.

regards
Very useful information Simon, that explains the fitting on a Notts & Derby badge I have. With that in mind, as it was my grandfather's regiment I'll keep it now.

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.