British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-08-17, 09:05 AM

Default Not WW2 RM beret!

Hi Guy's,

Just thought I would give you the heads up on this RM beret on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/192270096716?ul_noapp=true

They say look at the item and don't believe the story, well this is what they mean. The beret is post war and the cap badge is a restrike even though it looks like it's been in position forever
The stitching on the inside isn't right for WW2. Save your money as this guy is trying to have you over.
There's just enough to make you think it may be, but it isn't. Someone's made a lot of effort to make this look period

Regards
Irv
Old 08-08-17, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Hi Guy's,

They say look at the item and don't believe the story, well this is what they mean. The beret is post war and the cap badge is a restrike even though it looks like it's been in position forever
The stitching on the inside isn't right for WW2. Save your money as this guy is trying to have you over.
There's just enough to make you think it may be, but it isn't. Someone's made a lot of effort to make this look period

Regards
Irv
Thanks for the heads up Irv,
I had this in my watch listI wasn't 100% but now I know for definite I was planning to check with Fourm members on it as well but you've answered my question, thanks again

Gerard
Old 08-08-17, 10:23 AM

Gotta love the added 'authenticity" of the personalised badge backing plate, instant provenance.
Old 08-08-17, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Gotta love the added 'authenticity" of the personalised badge backing plate.......
Yes, I was wondering about that! The badge backing plate matches the dog-tag in both name and number, so are these both fakes as well? Was 'L Battersby 71150' ever in the Royal Marines?

I don't collect within this area but I'm fascinated by the lengths people go to fake items like this and unfortunately I can see this trend creeping into the area of military buttons as well!

Roger
Old 08-08-17, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
Yes, I was wondering about that! The badge backing plate matches the dog-tag in both name and number, so are these both fakes as well? Was 'L Battersby 71150' ever in the Royal Marines?

I don't collect within this area but I'm fascinated by the lengths people go to fake items like this and unfortunately I can see this trend creeping into the area of military buttons as well!

Roger
Les Battersby?

I have a commando beret thats a middle east cast piece on a beret with a named backing plate but I've had that 15 years++ and I paid absolutely stuff all for it so I think it's right... certainly not ww2 though (more likely 50s).
Old 08-08-17, 12:54 PM

If I had to guess I think he may be real but just added to make it collectable.

Irv
Old 08-08-17, 06:50 PM

There are getting to a be a few of these name plates in headdress - all a similar style and a bit suspicious.
What came first the dog tag or the named disc? - quite easy to punch out a name on a disc if you have a tag to 'attribute' to something - it may never have been together.
Of course this is just thinking out aloud
Mike
Old 08-08-17, 07:15 PM

Brass name plates stamped to a WWI RE VC winner turned up a little while back on eBay, attached to old carpentry tools.
The same plates stamped up in similar style but with other soldiers details on were also floating around at that time attached other items.
Old 08-08-17, 09:05 PM

Maybe something subliminal going on but wasn't Les Battersby a Corrie character?
Old 09-08-17, 03:39 AM

I have seen adverts for berets claimed to be RM Commando, but noted they were similar to a green beret I bought in The Scout Shop in Oxford in 1968.
Old 09-08-17, 07:19 AM

I have seen Scout berets complete with "Scout' as part of the internal markings offered for sale as WWII commando.
Old 09-08-17, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I have seen adverts for berets claimed to be RM Commando, but noted they were similar to a green beret I bought in The Scout Shop in Oxford in 1968.
It's what the boot necks used to give to visiting people (the Americans for example), as they didn't want them having real CGB's without completing the course.....
Old 09-08-17, 04:47 PM

I see he's taken the 'WW2' out of his auction

I presume he must have access to this website

Well done for that.

Regards
Irv
Old 16-08-17, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
Hi Guy's,

Regards
Irv
£138.00

Really glad I'm part of this Fourm

Gerard