British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-09, 09:02 AM

Just to confirm that in the book " The Staffords 1881-1978" by Rosignoli and Whitehouse, andodised ( or staybright as they call them ) badges are shown for both the South and the North Staffs.

They are of course line drawings not pictures of the actual badges but the book was published some time ago and the assistance of the the Staffordshire Regimental Museum is acknowledged in the book which adds to the mystery.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-04-09, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Just to confirm that in the book " The Staffords 1881-1978" by Rosignoli and Whitehouse, andodised ( or staybright as they call them ) badges are shown for both the South and the North Staffs.

They are of course line drawings not pictures of the actual badges but the book was published some time ago and the assistance of the the Staffordshire Regimental Museum is acknowledged in the book which adds to the mystery.

P.B.
South Staffordshire QC aa Catalogue number CB 7520, pattern number 16958, Sealed 18th October 1955, vocab October 1956, published in L of C December 1956. Listed in the 1963 CCN page 108 and the aa North Staffords as CB 3094 on page 104.

Last edited by 54Bty; 23-04-09 at 04:56 PM.
Old 23-04-09, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
South Staffordshire QC aa Catalogue number CB 7520, pattern number 16958, Sealed 18th October 1955, vocab October 1956, published in L of C December 1956. Listed in the 1963 CCN page 108 and the aa North Staffords as CB 3094 on page 104.
Further to this,there is a South Staffs anodised capbadge with holland cloth backing in the museum display cases.Obviously,i havent been able to examine the rear or anything like that.
Old 23-04-09, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Further to this,there is a South Staffs anodised capbadge with holland cloth backing in the museum display cases.Obviously,i havent been able to examine the rear or anything like that.
Here be mine.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 24-04-09, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
1. Following on from Chris' thread about restrike a/a badges I have the following list of anodised badges in existance which I believe were never issued to the regt (or their TA or Cadet bns) before they disbanded. These badges are die struck (mirror imaged in Chris' parlace) and the sliders are unmarked. All I believe to have been made to order by an unknown badge making company for the collectors market:

Royal Warwickshire Regt
Fife and Forfar Yeomanry
3rd Kings Own Hussars
South Staffordshire Regt
Northumberland Fusiliers
Royal Ulster Rifles (Kings Crown)

2. In addition I do not own but have seen the following:

East Surrey Regt
Suffolk Regt
4th Hussars
Rifle Brigade k/c pattern
Hampshire Carbineers
9th Lancers

3. There remain a third list of badges that have been reproduced by this company with the 'wrong' construction but the design was worn by the units. Examples would include the Essex Regt and possibly the Glosters/Hants 1969 badge.

4. In addition due to the quantity on the market, I am pretty sure that the following badges were heavily reproduced by JR Gaunt Bham in the 1970s-80s. They are die cast and indistinguishable from a contempory badge except for the Gaunt Bham mark. I believe that a true Gaunt's 1950s badge should be JR Gaunt London marked:

City of London yeomanry q/c (never worn by the regt)
23rd London Regt (1958-60)
East Midlands Brigade
Not forgetting the ever so easily obtained SAS

5. There were lots more designs that were made for the collectors market but it is impossible to set them apart from the genuine article.

Thoughts?

Alan
Hi Alan,

This is what I have - the numbers are the designation I use to ID the slider:

Royal Warwickshire Regt - No mark but a Gaunt (7.8)
Fife and Forfar Yeomanry - No mark but possibly a Gaunt 7.4
3rd Kings Own Hussars - No mark but a Gaunt (7.8)
South Staffordshire Regt - Marked FIRMIN LONDON (3.1)
Northumberland Fusiliers - Marked J.R.GAUNT LONDON (7.3)
Royal Ulster Rifles (Kings Crown) - No mark but a Gaunt (7.8)

East Surrey Regt - Not owned
Suffolk Regt - Not Owned
4th Hussars - Not Owned
Rifle Brigade k/c pattern - Not marked but possibly a Gaunt 7.4
Hampshire Carbineers - Not owned but usually tin fakes - one sold this week for 28 quid on eBay - scary...
9th Lancers - Not owned

Essex Regt - Marked DOWLER.BIRMINGHAM (2.4)
Glous/Hants - Marked DOWLER.BIRMINGHAM (2.4)

City of London yeomanry q/c - Marked J.R.GAUNT B'HAM (7.6)
23rd London Regt (1958-60) - Marked J.R.GAUNT B'HAM (7.6)
East Midlands Brigade - Never heard of this...
SAS - Marked LONDON BADGE & BUTTON CO LTD (8.2)

From MY badges ONLY I would say with what I currently know AT THIS POINT IN TIME that the following are good:

South Staffordshire Regt - Marked FIRMIN LONDON (3.1)
Northumberland Fusiliers - Marked J.R.GAUNT LONDON (7.3)

The following are probably good:

Essex Regt - Marked DOWLER.BIRMINGHAM (2.4)
Glous/Hants - Marked DOWLER.BIRMINGHAM (2.4)

The rest of the badges I OWN are unofficial commissions which is a better term than 'restrike' as if they were never made in the first place they could never have been re-struck.

I have been through some CCN's this week and some of the above badges were in these publications with instructions on how to order and obtain the badges.

e.g. SAS and 23rd London Regt (1958-60). However, MY badges were made past the active service date of these units. Note SAS was for 21st Artists Forge cap ONLY and not any other piece of head gear.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris
Old 24-04-09, 09:10 AM

I forgot to say - ALL the badges I have noted in the previous post were made via the correct impression die forging (cold) manufacturing process.

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 24-04-09 at 09:19 AM.
Old 24-04-09, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Here be mine.
Hi 54Bty,

The slider on your South Staffs badge is the ONLY one I have not been able to identify to a maker.

Here it is on a dodgy looking Para KC with the same slider as on your South Staffs.

Note the difference in the wings bulge next to the canopy - now lives in my fakes box.

Regards

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parachute Regiment Kings Crown.jpg (39.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 24-04-09, 10:03 AM

South Staffords, a second one.

The aa SAS badge is still available through the system last 7 = -973-9574, the last time I asked over 200 demands had been made for the badge.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 25-04-09, 11:20 AM

Default south staffords anodised.

Quote:
South Staffords, a second one.

The aa SAS badge is still available through the system last 7 = -973-9574, the last time I asked over 200 demands had been made for the badge.

54bty,
Your 2 examples are identical to my own, however my blank slider version does not have the holland backing and is somewhat 'mirrored' on the rear aspect. Incidentally have you noticed that the two badges differ as in that they are clearly from a totally differant die (crown and stafford knot differant shapes) and the named (Firmin London) example is NOT seeded on the scroll. Any thoughts?

My un named example I am a little sceptical about, however the Firmin example, I am more than happy with.

I will try and post images of some of the badges I mentioned at the begining of this most interesting thread later today hopefully. Would appreciate commentry on them.

Regards all

Bess
Old 29-06-15, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
54bty,
Your 2 examples are identical to my own, however my blank slider version does not have the holland backing and is somewhat 'mirrored' on the rear aspect. Incidentally have you noticed that the two badges differ as in that they are clearly from a totally differant die (crown and stafford knot differant shapes) and the named (Firmin London) example is NOT seeded on the scroll. Any thoughts?

My un named example I am a little sceptical about, however the Firmin example, I am more than happy with.

I will try and post images of some of the badges I mentioned at the begining of this most interesting thread later today hopefully. Would appreciate commentry on them.

Regards all

Bess
I know this is an old thread but new information has come up.

Firstly ,the S.Staffs badge in the museum is unmarked. It was removed from the case and checked by a friend of who is very knowledgeable regards badges.
Secondly ,I have just got hold of a marked version of the S.Staffs badge. Again Firmin London and not showing any signs of a backing behind adhered to it.
But the backing on some Staffs badges was separate and shaped and cut to fit. Bess has a packet with said backing in which is a square piece of Holland Cloth.
Lastly ,there was for sale some time ago a S.Staffs anodised with a Gaunt Bham slider.However,the slider doesn't look right.This badge is also seeded.
Here is the link to the said item :-
http://www.smimilitaria.com/shop.php search for anodised then page 6
Old 21-04-17, 01:39 PM

North Stafford

If the TAVR II Battalions of the Staffordshire Regiment wore the Mercian Brigade badge, did the 5th/6th Battalion (TAVR III) also wear this badge? The time period I am particularly interested in finding out about is the late 60's

Many thanks
Old 21-04-17, 02:48 PM

I am glad that this is all about Infantry etc badges. What about the Arms & Services badge's? Do I need to go and check ALL my A/A badges or what?? I have around 650 (give or take) anodised badges of units, maker marks & variations of said badges.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-04-17, 07:55 PM

Hi Mike,

The slider looks modern Firmin and the maker mark characters look 'too big', Slider stamped post manufacture perhaps?

Regards,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I know this is an old thread but new information has come up.

Firstly ,the S.Staffs badge in the museum is unmarked. It was removed from the case and checked by a friend of who is very knowledgeable regards badges.
Secondly ,I have just got hold of a marked version of the S.Staffs badge. Again Firmin London and not showing any signs of a backing behind adhered to it.
But the backing on some Staffs badges was separate and shaped and cut to fit. Bess has a packet with said backing in which is a square piece of Holland Cloth.
Lastly ,there was for sale some time ago a S.Staffs anodised with a Gaunt Bham slider.However,the slider doesn't look right.This badge is also seeded.
Here is the link to the said item :-
http://www.smimilitaria.com/shop.php search for anodised then page 6
Old 21-04-17, 07:58 PM

Hi Jerry,

There are not that many fake/repro A/A badges around - check my Fakes and Reproductions chapter in the copy of my book that you have for a list of those that are bad.

Regards,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I am glad that this is all about Infantry etc badges. What about the Arms & Services badge's? Do I need to go and check ALL my A/A badges or what?? I have around 650 (give or take) anodised badges of units, maker marks & variations of said badges.
Jerry
Old 21-04-17, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Jerry,

There are not that many fake/repro A/A badges around - check my Fakes and Reproductions chapter in the copy of my book that you have for a list of those that are bad.

Regards,

Chris
Thanks for reply Chris, sadly to say I haven't a copy as I thought it was too costly at the time.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Tags
anodised staybrite