British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-03-14, 12:26 PM

Default Cadet Force Arm Band

I picked this up recently. Does anyone have the different ranks or variations on this theme.

I also picked up some white on red 'Cadet Force' Titles which I assume were the first post war pattern before the ACF titles were adopted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm Band.jpg (57.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 24-03-14, 06:38 PM

I always hope with threads like this that an expert on the subject will come in with a comprehensive reply.

In the absence ( so far ) of such a reply I would just like to say that since I started collecting Cadet insignia with a Liverpool connection together with generic cadet titles and proficiency/ rank insignia, I have been surprised at the variety of badges that there are and which are generally sold at very reasonable prices.

I am also surprised at the lack of reference material with the exception of Rawlings who does not cover proficiency or rank badges.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-03-14, 08:39 PM

The stuff is cheap because no one is interested in it and as you say there are no good reference books on the subject. The same was true when I started collecting trade badges over 35 years ago and putting together one of the most comprehensive collections in the country.

Hopefully one day someone will write a book on cadet force insignia.
Old 24-03-14, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REME245 View Post
The stuff is cheap because no one is interested in it and as you say there are no good reference books on the subject. The same was true when I started collecting trade badges over 35 years ago and putting together one of the most comprehensive collections in the country.

Hopefully one day someone will write a book on cadet force insignia.
Did you find any errors in Edwards and Langley? Before I stopped collecting what are mistakenly called trade badges [modern stuff bores me to death] I had completed my full house trailing in Denis's wake.
Old 26-03-14, 04:42 PM

These are the titles. Can anyone comment on the period of manufacture from their construction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4566_001.jpg (55.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 26-03-14, 04:45 PM

Grumpy

The only principal ones I am missing are some of the Cavalry ones.

Most of the mistakes were corrected in the second edition but there is always new information coming out.
Old 26-03-14, 04:54 PM

I think these have been discussed before and I think they are post WW2, will try and find the original thread later.

The items in the attached photo are some of the Cadet items I have picked up and which require sorting.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.jpg (74.7 KB, 50 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-03-14, 06:44 PM

Yes I realise or at least assuming that they are the first post-war pattern as I said in my first post.

There is one on e-bay in a different colour combination at the moment so they were probably produced in all the standard Corps/Regimental colours where cadets were affiliated.

This picture which I have posted before shows use of the current ACF pattern under Wiltshire titles during the 1960's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1CSRVFPS02_TCHG-GPV58030_0767_001.jpg (91.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 15-04-14, 04:05 PM

Is there a slip on early war pattern Cadet Force Title?

I can see something in war-time pictures of the Wiltshire ACF.
Conceivably they could be obsolete Wiltshire Titles.
Old 15-04-14, 04:39 PM

The answer to your question is in the publication Handbook of Information on the Army Cadet Force published by the War Office in October 1943.

In the section on badges it states "Cap badges and "slip on" shoulder titles (embroidered) showing the cadet unit's regimental designation will be those of the cadet unit's affiliated regiment of the TA. These will be issued free of charge from WD sources"

It also states that "On all cadet uniforms shoulder titles simliar in design to the Home Guard shoulder title with the words "Cadet Force" in black printed lettering wil be worn by all cadet officers and cadets".

So regimental slip-on on the shoulder, Cadet Force black printed title at the top of the sleeve.

Finally, and going back to the start of this thread. it states "Cadets who are also members of the Home Guard when attending Home Guard parades will wear their Home Guard uniform without cadet badges ...those holding warrant or NCO rank in their cadet unit will wear an armlet on which will be stitched their rank badge. These armlets will be issued free of charge and will have the word "Cadet Force" in black printed lettering at the top."

Jon
Old 15-04-14, 05:04 PM

The relationship between the Home Guard and the Cadet Force during WW2 is fascinating and something I was not aware of until very recently.

I wonder where all the WW2 cadets badged battledress blouses went ?

P.B.

Old 15-04-14, 05:53 PM

Further to my previous post, the white on red ‘A.C.F.’ arm title was issued in 1951 to replace the wartime black printed version but in 1955 this was replaced by a series of titles matching the colours of the regular arm titles beneath which they were worn – List of Changes for February 1955 listed 19 versions including dark blue on scarlet, white on cherry and black on Cameronian green.

A Parachute Regiment version is shown.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Para ACF JM.jpg (103.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 15-04-14, 07:41 PM

Default ACF Titles

A few examples of Cadet Force titles from my album

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=490

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 15-04-14, 07:42 PM

A few more

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 16-04-14, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
The answer to your question is in the publication Handbook of Information on the Army Cadet Force published by the War Office in October 1943.

It also states that "On all cadet uniforms shoulder titles simliar in design to the Home Guard shoulder title with the words "Cadet Force" in black printed lettering wil be worn by all cadet officers and cadets".

So regimental slip-on on the shoulder, Cadet Force black printed title at the top of the sleeve.

Finally, and going back to the start of this thread. it states "Cadets who are also members of the Home Guard when attending Home Guard parades will wear their Home Guard uniform without cadet badges ...those holding warrant or NCO rank in their cadet unit will wear an armlet on which will be stitched their rank badge. These armlets will be issued free of charge and will have the word "Cadet Force" in black printed lettering at the top."

Jon
So the arm band pictured at the top of this thread relates to Cadet Service in the Home Guard?

I also now presumably need some Wilts Slip On's if anyone has any.