View Single Post
Old 04-01-18, 03:44 PM

Default Beret

Mike, my Militaria article on Canadian Army berets and the cloth backing for badges is relevant for the SWW era and it does not apply to the 1980s.

I was glad to see that Clay posted the Standing Orders for the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery identifying that, "An embroidered Artillery badge, 33.5mm high and 43.0mm wide (Insignia Embroidered
Officers RCA), will be worn by qualified Commissioned Officers and Chief Warrant Officers on CF authorized berets." His original e-mail post stated, "Officers and Warrant Officers wear the bullion badge." which is clearly not the case as there are Warrant Officers, Master Warrant Officers and Chief Warrant Officers. An omission of an important detail is very misleading not only to collectors in Canada who do not understand the CF rank structure but those in Europe as well.

The embroidered badges were not provided by the Crown, so they were sold at unit kit shops. Here is an image of the embroidered badge.

Royal Canadian Horse Artillery - QC - Cloth and wire - front copy.jpg

As I stated earlier the beret is not Canadian military issue and appears to be either a U.S. military contract or perhaps a contract for a European NATO country. By the 1980s Dorothea Knitting Mills had been providing good quality berets for the Canadian military for 40 years that had a distinctive generous shape, but many Officers and CWOs preferred a more tighter fitting beret. Berets could also be purchased at unit kit shops and any that I have in my collection were manufactured in Pakistan.

This is an example of the label found in a 1981 dated CF beret.

Canadian CF Beret - 1981 [1].jpg